Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Temporary add data to a plan?

I have a data plan with Koodo but I'm travelling and I require more data for the next month or two. Is there anyway to temporarily add data to my plan?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you traveling within Canada? Once you reach your data limit, you should get an offer to buy more data, Kyle
I am travelling in Canada and I have been offered but it's only at 100mbs a time and I am going to need a lot more than that. I was hoping there was a way to get a larger amount like a couple of gigs. I thought the boosters might work but I think they are just for prepaid plans right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kyle wrote:

I am travelling in Canada and I have been offered but it's only at 100mbs a time and I am going t...

Yes, the  boosters are for prepaid, but you should have the option to purchase at least 1 GB of data when you hit your limit.  You could also purchase a larger plan for the duration of the trip, then fall back to a smaller plan for the rest of the year.

Userlevel 4
kyle wrote:

I am travelling in Canada and I have been offered but it's only at 100mbs a time and I am going t...

@David
Switching plans doesn't make sense since she may have some good Legacy Plan. It is not worth to lose it for extra data.

Although it is true that you can purchase at least 1GB of data when you hit your limit  but if it happened at the end of you bill cycle you are paying for data that may never be used fully. I know that you can choose for example 100mbs but if you do this few times it is more expensive per MB than 1GB. Overages are even more expensive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kyle wrote:

Switching plans may well make sense, depending on the OP needs. The OP indicates the need for a lot more data than is normally consumed. I doubt the $20 per GB is a barrier for the OP.
Userlevel 6
kyle wrote:

Switching to an in-market plan may convince some subscribers to switch carriers, especially if their tab buy-out is running low, or they can get big enough new activation incentives from the other guys.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kyle wrote:

Sounds like the customer has a fairly newish plan since they seem to have shock free data.  Before shock free data, any additional data is charged at the overage rate.

Kyle, do you have a plan with shock free data?
Userlevel 4
@kyle
Unfortunately it is tough out there and here for Monthly Users that in general don't use a lot of data but occasionally need it. They are caught in between those that don't use data at all and can easily find prepaid plan on Koodo with good savings or heavy data users on more expensive plans but with lower cost per MB. 
Userlevel 6
I suggest Koodo should offer data add-ons, otherwise they may lose customers to competitors such as Virgin Mobile, who lets you add 1 GB data as an add-on to prevent overage charges.
Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

I suggest Koodo should offer data add-ons, otherwise they may lose customers to competitors such ...

@titaniumtux
They may lose customers to competitors but it seems like they are not losing enough to create such a customer friendly add-on.
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

I suggest Koodo should offer data add-ons, otherwise they may lose customers to competitors such ...

@Jan this is sadly true 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

@titaniumtux
"...Virgin Mobile, who lets you add 1 GB data as an add-on to prevent overage charges."
- So, how much is this 1GB add on?   Its confusing to me you said that this add-on to prevent overage charges... 
It's not free,correct? If it is, then it's great, but...you still have to pay for it...?

If you have  a SFD plan with Koodo , you have options to buy 100  MB or 1GB(I believe it was $20).
Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

@Mayumi
Personally I don't know what data add-ons Virgin Mobile can offer but my point here in regards to@kyle dilema is that if you run out of data four days before your Billing Cycle will end, adding 1GB don't make sense. It is like you are paying $20 for four days of 1GB usage regardless whether you will use it or not because it is attached to your billing cycle. On the other hand if you could have ability to use it for example within a month of the time of purchase that would be more user friendly.

I am not naïve here. User friendly is not always profit friendly with an exception when enough users would be leaving Koodo for competitors offering more flexibility in this regard.

In that particular case user friendly could be profit friendly, as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

@titaniumtux@Jan Hope how does Virgin's offer differ in effect from Koodo's SFD?
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

Virgin will let you add 1 GB data for $7-10 per month. I got it for $2 per month as a personalized offer. If Virgin has to match Fido and Koodo on a +1GB on new activations (and upgrades/loyalty) last minute and don't have the time to design a plan for it, they'll launch it as a $0 add-on. Even the $7-10 per month is way cheaper than overage rates. My overage rates with Virgin are $10 for 500 MB's, but the add-on is a better deal.
My understanding is that Jean-Pierre Blais's revision to the wireless code will force all carriers to do "shock-free data" (without requiring subscribers to switch to an in-market plan). How and when this gets done, I have no idea.
Shock-free data is OK for those who may have a little less self-control on their data, and are the decision-maker of their own line.@Mayumi: Many people are willing to pay a small fee to get extra data to prevent overages, so it doesn't have to be free. A lot of wireless subscribers like calling customer service when they get the text "you're at 90% of your billing cycle's data" and grabbing an affordable add-on to prevent overages.
Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

@titaniumtux
I am shocked here (and "shock-free data" cannot stop me from being shocked) that Virgin have such a generous offer. Virgin is Sub Brand of Bell and Bell is the least generous in anything they offer comparing even to Telus and Rogers. How they allow Virgin to do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

Additional data from Virgin is based on what plan you have so each person coulf have a different amount, probably why titaniums is so cheap. Their pay per use rates are: $7.50 for up to 50MB $15 for up to 250MB $5 for each 250MB after that.
Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

@ Allan

Let's put a side argument about prices for a while.

How about flexibility of using it within certain period of time from the time of purchase.

It wouldn't be certainly hard for Koodo to implement that option.

Isn't it that Koodo for a long time have been known as a user friendly Mobile Brand.
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

@Jan: different carriers have different strategies of retaining their customer base and attracting new customers. Koodo hammers the farm on new activations, but I find Virgin offers "different" leverage to existing customers. They charge a womping $35 for a phone number change or to port a number after the service is active, a transfer of responsibility, and don't offer refer a friend. However they have other cool things that make it worth keeping them around.
Btw, get.gift cards at Walmart (OSL), The Mobile Shop and BestBuy on upgrades on Virgin Mobile (same.gift cards as they give for new activations). That means upgrade any time, and the.gift on the Virgin upgrade might outrun your buy-out. The Mobile Shop's plus $100 in PC points runs more frequently on Bell/Virgin than on Telus/Koodo, and they have it the least frequent on Koodo.
I can qualify for EPP with one of the big three (and I get no EPP with Virgin or Koodo), but I can't seem to get rid of Virgin Mobile 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

@titaniumtux@Jan Hope

I reacted to the wording "to prevent overage charges".
I thought if you buy/pay for an extra data, then you pay something - not prevent extra charge.
But, now I know it meant that " to prevent TO PAY overage charge rate". 

I have small amount of data included in my plan and I sometimes run out of it.
It can be stressful/dilemma to pay $20/GB for a few days, (or even $5, $10/100MB) and I most likely not use them up.

I agree it would be nice if unused Add-on data roll over at least until end of next billing cycle since I paid extra for it.  But, it will be different subject which someone can suggest as an Idea.

Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

@titaniumtux

What I know from many younger people that Virgin offer many discounts to different events and in many different clothing stores that are popular for certain fashion trends appealing to the younger generation.

Koodo and Others  may as well attract  different demographic with their approaches.

Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

@ Mayumi

I consider myself fairly new to this Forum and still learning to navigate it properly but if someone more experienced than me could post it as an idea and frame it in a convincing way I will be more than willing to back it up.
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

@Mayumi: even if the data add-on expires at end of billing cycle, just being able to add it and pay less than overage rates is worth it.@Jan: I don't shop at malls, making Virgin's member benefits useless to me. But their plans for long-time customers can get super cheap, especially when leveraging data add-ons 😃
Koodo's great for those who upgrade very frequently or rarely. Upgrade frequently and get activation credits towards the tab. Upgrade rarely and after the 24 month mark, the tab charge falls off the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

@ Jan Hope Just choose New Post at the top of the page, and follow the steps to post an idea.
Userlevel 4
titaniumtux wrote:

Thanks @ David I will try to do it within next couple of days unless someone within the community and having the same concern as me will do this earlier.