Koodo Community

Community

Solved

switching to koodo, not in country

I would like to switch to koodo and I don't need a new phone. Is there anyway I can do it online or authorize someone to do it in store?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You still need a SIM card and if you are looking at a monthly plan that requires running a credit check. We don't currently sell just SIMs online so likely the best bet is to wait till you arrive here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You may be able to find a SIM card online somewhere be it eBay or kijiji for the local area your moving to. But as Bernard said above, best to just wait till you are here to get everything set up so you have no problems.
Hi. I'm also overseas until the summer and currently only use my phone to receive voice mail. The $15 a month base plan seems adequate for this. I can get a Koodo prepaid SIM on eBay sent to me overseas. Is there no way to activate it/transfer from Bell without going into a Koodo store in Canada?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Glen Farley wrote:

Hi. I'm also overseas until the summer and currently only use my phone to receive voice mail. Th...

There is no point activate Koodo prepaid if you are outside of Canada.
Prepaid plan works within Canada.  Or within US if you have U.S. Roaming Booster(s)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Glen Farley wrote:

Hi. I'm also overseas until the summer and currently only use my phone to receive voice mail. Th...

For prepaid, you can do the whole shebang on-line as long as you have a Canadian mode of payment, which can include a top-up voucher obtained on eBay. Buy a minimal talk booster to make sure voice service is active at all times. That way AFAIK voicemail will work 24/7 but won't cost you minutes.

Koodo prepaid now offers roaming in the US. But I gather from your post that you are good to go with messages received at a local Cdn number then returned via wifi calling or other means available at your foreign location.

https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/
Glen Farley wrote:

Thanks for the answer Bob! So I buy the Koodo SIM card on ebay and have it mailed overseas, then go to the link you provided above and set up my account? 
Userlevel 6
Depending on how soon you intend on arriving in Canada, you can open an account with Fongo from overseas on their website, and grab a local number from BC/AB/MB/ON/QC/NS. You can set-up voicemail to email. As long as the account is active for a minimum of 30 days with Fongo, you can later port the Fongo to another carrier, such as Koodo, after you arrive. If you acquire a phone number from your province of residence with Fongo, you'll be able to port it to Koodo when you activate (will take up to 5 business days). Easier to port the number to Koodo "after the fact" (meaning take a temporary number upon activating with Koodo). Fongo also offers free call forwarding to most major Canadian cities, so it'll likely be a cost-effective method of acquiring a Canadian number with voicemail prior to arriving here.
Only caveat is that Fongo does require SMS validation. You may want to borrow a friend's cellphone number who is here in Canada to pass SMS validation in order to activate the Fongo account.
titaniumtux wrote:

Depending on how soon you intend on arriving in Canada, you can open an account with Fongo from o...

Thanks, but just so I understand - I already have an Ontario number that I would want to keep so this would be a $25 one time fee with Fongo. And then it's free forever? How is that possible? 
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

Depending on how soon you intend on arriving in Canada, you can open an account with Fongo from o...

Fongo only has one-time fees for porting numbers, blocking ads, releasing SIP credentials for FreePhoneLine and adding airtime for overseas calling. Yes it's free forever. Once you port in, it'd be free to port out as well as you would have paid the $25. It's great for long-term use. It might be cheaper for you with Voip.MS if you were to go short-term.
I have a family member who ported an Ontario phone number from Fido to Fongo, $25 one-time fee, and now he has free call forwarding for life.
titaniumtux wrote:

OK, thanks for the tip!