Koodo Community
Question

Switching plan after paying off tab

• 3 September 2022
  • 11 replies

Hi, I’m on a tab large plan and have been wanting to upgrade plans for more data but the only other plan at the time was $15 more for 17GB more of data. I don’t need that big of an upgrade and figured since I was on a tab plan that it was limiting my plan choices (as I’ve read in the info area). So I paid off the rest of my tab as lump sum this month and a month hasn’t yet passed but I still only get the 1 plan to choose from despite having a tab balance of $0. How can I go back to normal plans before I was on a tab?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, I’m on a tab large plan and have been wanting to upgrade plans for more data but the only other plan at the time was $15 more for 17GB more of data. I don’t need that big of an upgrade and figured since I was on a tab plan that it was limiting my plan choices (as I’ve read in the info area). So I paid off the rest of my tab as lump sum this month and a month hasn’t yet passed but I still only get the 1 plan to choose from despite having a tab balance of $0. How can I go back to normal plans before I was on a tab?

When did you start your Tab? Which plan do you want to switch to?

June 18, 2021. And I can’t tell you what plan I want to switch to because I can’t see the plan I want to switch to. The only one I have access to is the one mentioned in my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

June 18, 2021. And I can’t tell you what plan I want to switch to because I can’t see the plan I want to switch to. The only one I have access to is the one mentioned in my post.

I would not suggest you to change your plan, since you are still within the 2-year period to complete your Tab. If you switch now, you will need to pay off the remaining Tab Bonus balance on your account. 

As I’ve said in the original post, I already paid off the entire balance as a lump sum payment. I did this as I was under the assumption that afterwards I would be able to get a different plan, since on the website it says that having a tab balance will limit your choice of plans. Unless the bonus balance is separate, I was under the impression I was not owing on that as it says -119.96. But if I still owe that then I wouldn’t mind paying it off if I can get another plan afterwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As I’ve said in the original post, I already paid off the entire balance as a lump sum payment. I did this as I was under the assumption that afterwards I would be able to get a different plan, since on the website it says that having a tab balance will limit your choice of plans. Unless the bonus balance is separate, I was under the impression I was not owing on that as it says -119.96. But if I still owe that then I wouldn’t mind paying it off if I can get another plan afterwards.

Yes, the Tab Bonus is separate from the Tab charge. That is the amount offered by Koodo to reduce the cost of your phone. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Tab-bonus

Are there any negatives to canceling the tab and paying that off? Other than needing to pay the remainder? I wouldn’t mind paying it if I can get a new monthly plan afterwards but if it’s going to look bad or mess with my credit then I won’t bother.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are there any negatives to canceling the tab and paying that off? Other than needing to pay the remainder? I wouldn’t mind paying it if I can get a new monthly plan afterwards but if it’s going to look bad or mess with my credit then I won’t bother.

You need to weigh the pros and cons. I do not know how many months you have left on your Tab, so it is difficult to say. That said, I believe they do an internal credit check when you upgrade your device.

You need to weigh the pros and cons. I do not know how many months you have left on your Tab, so it is difficult to say. That said, I believe they do an internal credit check when you upgrade your device.

I believe I have about 8-9 months left before it hits the 2 year mark. I don’t intend in upgrading my phone though just want to get a different plan.

But also does the -$15 a month for the Tab Bonus actually get charged to me or does it passively go down? If I don’t have to pay that I might as well just upgrade to that 20GB plan and then downgrade once my tab is done

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I believe I have about 8-9 months left before it hits the 2 year mark. I don’t intend in upgrading my phone though just want to get a different plan.

But also does the -$15 a month for the Tab Bonus actually get charged to me or does it passively go down? If I don’t have to pay that I might as well just upgrade to that 20GB plan and then downgrade once my tab is done

That is what I meant earlier when you said you want to change your plan. That would trigger the system to force you to pay both the remaining Tab and Tab Bonus balance.

Since you paid off your Tab balance, you will not charged again, but you will be liable for the other amount, which appears on the next bill. 

That is what I meant earlier when you said you want to change your plan. That would trigger the system to force you to pay both the remaining Tab and Tab Bonus balance.

Since you paid off your Tab balance, you will not charged again, but you will be liable for the other amount, which appears on the next bill. 

Ahhh I see. So either way I would have to pay that or just wait 8-9 months. Thanks a lot for your help!

Hello one more question:

In the tab bonus faq it says I have to pay it if I cancel, upgrade or change to an “Ineligible rate plan”. How do I know which ones are eligible? I was assuming the one I have available to me would be an eligible one and therefore not charge me (since before tab I had access to another 5-6 plans). Any help appreciated and sorry for repeated questions