Koodo Community

Community

Stop charging for incoming SMS while roaming to US

Koodo should not charge to receive sms texts while roaming in the US. You can choose to not answer a phone call but you can't CHOOSE to not receive text messages. Airplane mode and turning the phone off are not valid options as we must still be able to accept phone calls. Roaming plans are also not acceptable as I go to the US on a weekly basis for only 3-4 hours at a time. At the very least, they should provide a way to easily and temporarily prevent us from receiving SMS messages while roaming. I'm not with Koodo, and I'm waiting for them to fix this before switching over to them.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
I would love to see a way to stop SMS while roaming also and while it should be technically possible I don't think anyone (any carrier), anywhere does this currently. It certainly has to be done by Koodo because if the phone can receive voice calls it can receive SMS. It's also quite common overseas to send a single SMS message and have the same message duplicated and delivered hundreds of times which is pretty annoying to the recipient. Had that happen to me at least 3 times and it can render the recipient's phone unusable.
Userlevel 2
This is actually one of the reasons why I couldn't recommend Koodo to a family member who travels to the US frequently. I had to point them to another carrier (who says 'woof woof') that does not charge for incoming texts when roaming in the US. It's too bad because I prefer to recommend Koodo when I can for their no nonsense plans. But I suppose you can't cater to everyone's needs 100% of the time.
Userlevel 5
Hey Stephane, It's "under consideration". Thanks!
That's GREAT news. Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 5
It's now being planned. August 28th to be exact 😉
Userlevel 4
Sumaya K. wrote:

Awesome! Now I can turn my Koodo phone on in the US. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Sumaya K. wrote:

Oh, what about Europe and other areas? Is this US only or more?
Userlevel 5
Sumaya K. wrote:

Guys, I want to clarify: It is FREE incoming text for both US and International! 🙂
Sumaya K. wrote:

I got charged this month for roaming incoming messages. Can I get a refund?
Userlevel 7
Sumaya K. wrote:

Hi Jacky, Since the charges would have been before the 28th of August it would be a charge that wouldn't be covered by the new roaming coverage plans. The only way to find out if you can get anything refunded is to speak to someone from customer service and speak your case. They're open at these times listed below: Hours of Operation Monday − Friday: 10am - 9pm Saturday: 9am - 7pm Sunday: 9am - 7pm Hope this helps