Koodo Community
Solved

Starting a new contract

• 30 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am looking for a new contract and I would like to take advantage of the deals on plans for Boxing day. However, my current plan (with Bell) does not expire until Feb 7. If I order a SIM card now, does the contract start right away or will it wait until I receive and activate the SIM card? I know it will charge me right away but I would like to keep my phone number.

icon

Best answer by Goran 30 December 2020, 21:44

You'd only pay off the rest of your phone tab earlier with Bell if you leave them.

It will be right away. You'll have to contact customer support to get it properly prorated to when you actually activate the Sim card. Then you can move your number(port) online. Also be sure to get referred by someone so both of you get 25 bucks each.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You'd only pay off the rest of your phone tab earlier with Bell if you leave them.

It will be right away. You'll have to contact customer support to get it properly prorated to when you actually activate the Sim card. Then you can move your number(port) online. Also be sure to get referred by someone so both of you get 25 bucks each.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Allyed There are no contracts any more. Bell can’t hold you hostage. Paying off any, the little that left, outstanding amount is best so you could start saving money right away. You could just order the SIM, once you get it and your account is set up, port you existing number over. You don’t even have to contact Bell. Your last bill from them will include any outstanding amount you may have left. There are no penalties they can charge. Let us know if you have any more questions! 

Unfortunately it is a contract and not a phone tab because it is a commercial plan, not private and was offered through employment so they are able to charge me if I leave. But if I contact customer support they will be able to prorate it for me to start when I activate the SIM and swap over the phone number for me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What I would suggest, if Bell is not willing to let you go before the contract is up:

Sign up with Koodo and get the awesome offer that you have set your eyes on. You can just use a temporary number… then when Bell’s contract is up, port in your Bell number.

You will have one month of double service, but if this is a plan you truly want, I’d say that might be worth it in the end.

Just a thought… it’s something I would probably do :)