Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Something about iMessage

Hi Koodo, I am confusing that does the carrier (like you) charge for everytime user turn off the iMessage and reopen it (activate it)? Is this activitiation free?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No Koodo does not charge for activating and deactivating iMessage. Why do you ask?
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

No Koodo does not charge for activating and deactivating iMessage. Why do you ask?

All these years of owning iPhones Robert and you still don't know that there's an initial 'activation' process for iMessage? 😛 That's why he's asking. He thinks every time he turns iMessage off and on that there is a charge for this
Robert wrote:

Yeah, I mean the initial activation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

No, there is no specific charge for activating Messages (formerly known as iMessage). However the application does expect ready access to data (either cellular or Wifi) to send messages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
iMessage need a data or wifi connection. If you use it a lot with mobile data and went over your limit, you will get charge for data overage. You can turn off iMessage and use regular text when wifi is not available to limit data usage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

iMessage need a data or wifi connection. If you use it a lot with mobile data and went over you...

However, if you turn off iMessages as described above, you may not receive messages from other iPhone users, unless they, too have also turned off iMessages. For those who have more than one Apple Device with iMessages set up, turning off iMessages on one device, simply means the messages are still received to the active devices, but not the inactive ones. So, having been out all day with no cellular data, you come home to a bunch of messages waiting for you on your iPad or Mac, and a burst of messages to your iPhone once it connects to Wi-Fi. Even if you have only an iPhone, you can experience the delay, as your iPhone is still registered with the iMessages service, and delivery occurs when you reconnect to data services. If you plan not to have data services on all the time, it is wisest not to subscribe to the iMessages services at all, by turning the iMessages switch off in Settings > Messages > iMessage from day 1.
Userlevel 1
Mayumi wrote:

iMessage need a data or wifi connection. If you use it a lot with mobile data and went over you...

Great answer,,, thanks,, one more Q: if I have unlimited text/picture on my plan, will I still have to pay for data for video/picture send within text messages?
Userlevel 7
Mayumi wrote:

Hi Chappy,

Using iMessage (messages you send that are blue) you will incur data charges for all messages sent through that. The unlimited text/picture messaging is for all SMS/MMS messages sent (messages you send that are green) is what is included in your plan.
Userlevel 1
Mayumi wrote:

Thanks, I like the explanation with the colours, I get it now, just turn off data when I'm not connected to wifi and ask use my plan in green, does it includes video too?
Userlevel 7
Mayumi wrote:

Hi Chappy,

Yes it does. Videos and photos are both sent via MMS messages that are included in your plan.

If you do not want to  use iMessages (blue messages) at all, you can always disable it and not be worried about it counting towards your data plan. 
Userlevel 1
Mayumi wrote:

Thanks, Mathieu, for your time, have a good one
Userlevel 7
Mayumi wrote:

No problem at all! Come back anytime! Have a great evening!
Mayumi wrote:

I am Maui, how do I text as I signed up for the Text and Talk plan but don't want to use iMessage as it uses data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

Simply sign up for talk and text and keep your data turned off. If it tries to send an iMessage you can turn it off following these steps:
    Go to Settings on your Apple device. Tap Messages. Set iMessage to Off.
You can send iMessages through wifi though so you make the call wether you want it turned off or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

If you turn it off, you may not be able to reactivate it until you come back to Canada OR there may be a charge associated with the activation SMS if you do it from outside Canada.
Mayumi wrote:

I just was unable to send text messages to people with iPhones as it kept wanting to use iMessage. I spoke to Koodo rep and finally we figured out I had to enter phone number when starting to send a text and not use the contact list that pre populates the send to field. Then it got sent via SMS not iMessage. Something do do with the new Apple updates, what else is new! Frustrating.
Mayumi wrote:

I have turned it on and off multiple times trying to text my son who has an iphone.. Can't get it to be sent SMS. Keeps wanting me to enable my iMessage. I enable my iMessage then turn off wifi from my hotel and it won't send him a text as I do not have data down here. So frustrating. I can text people without iPhones just fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

Do you have "Send as SMS" turned on?

Mayumi wrote:

Yup I finally deleted my conversation with my son and entered his number manually and it got sent as SMS
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

Glad you got it working!
Mayumi wrote:

Hi There
i just returned from a trip to Asia(where i bought different foreign sim cards). I am now back to Canada. I have put back my Koodo SIM card in the phone. My i-message from  i phone to iphone is no longer working unless I am on wifi. It won't work if I am using only my wireless data plan . I get the message "Cannot Send Message imessage needs to be enabled to send this message". I have checked my settings and imessage is enabled. Never had that before, I don't know what to try next!

Userlevel 6
Mayumi wrote:

I think iMessage is probably still connected to the phone number of your previous SIM card (foreign card). You may have to go back into iMessage settings and disable it, and enable/activate your current Koodo number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

You may actually need to disable it, restart the phone, and then enable it.
Mayumi wrote:

my sim card oversea was only for data ie I couldn't make phone calls. Just now 1.I have disabled i message.2.Turned off my phone, 3.restarted my phone 4.re-enabled it and i still getting the message " Cannot Send Message iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message"
Mayumi wrote:

My last thought is to start a fresh thread with whomever you are contacting and enter their number manually. This must be frustrating for you. I went through the same type of thing in Maui last year when I could not send an SMS message with imessage enabled. I could use imessage when on the internet but when I was out and about with no data (too expensive) it would not send as SMS. I finally got it to work by deleting the thread and starting fresh by entering the phone number manually.