Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Snowbird advice for plans

Hi..I have a koodo ph..blackberry.. I use pay as u go..I'm in Fl now so I cancelled it, but I;m traveling back to Toronto area for 10 days..Can I get a plan for the one month while I'm there & cancel it again when I return to fl.. I will be in Fl for another 4 months after I return..
icon

Best answer by Some random Mobile Master 14 December 2013, 17:23

Rosalie, to answer your question, yes, you can. However, since you use prepaid, there may be a better option. Prepaid base plans need to be renewed every month to remain active, however, a little known secret is that if you don't renew, your account won't be automatically deleted for the next 90 days. In a sense, if you renew at least once every 90 days, you won't lose your phone number, your boosters and your SIM card will still work. Let's use this example. You want to spend 6 months in the US. You select the $15 base plan on your Koodo prepaid account, and leave for the US. First month goes by. Renewal time comes, but you don't renew. Service becomes inactive, but your account is intact. The next 2 months go by, and the 90-day mark is approaching. Just before it's due, you renew your base plan ($15). Service resumes and all is good. You repeat this whole cycle until it's time to come back home, and renew again. What this tells us is that you renewed before leaving ($15), once in the middle of your stay (another $15) and again when getting back home ($15). A total of $45 saves your boosters, your phone number and all that, for 6 months. And you'll be able to use your phone during your stay in Toronto if your visit happens during 30 days following your last renewal. Of course, cancelling completely is entirely possible and is ultimately up to you, but for $45 for 6 months, I wouldn't bother and would rather keep my account in standby for when I get back home. Enjoy the warmth!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Rosalie, to answer your question, yes, you can. However, since you use prepaid, there may be a better option. Prepaid base plans need to be renewed every month to remain active, however, a little known secret is that if you don't renew, your account won't be automatically deleted for the next 90 days. In a sense, if you renew at least once every 90 days, you won't lose your phone number, your boosters and your SIM card will still work. Let's use this example. You want to spend 6 months in the US. You select the $15 base plan on your Koodo prepaid account, and leave for the US. First month goes by. Renewal time comes, but you don't renew. Service becomes inactive, but your account is intact. The next 2 months go by, and the 90-day mark is approaching. Just before it's due, you renew your base plan ($15). Service resumes and all is good. You repeat this whole cycle until it's time to come back home, and renew again. What this tells us is that you renewed before leaving ($15), once in the middle of your stay (another $15) and again when getting back home ($15). A total of $45 saves your boosters, your phone number and all that, for 6 months. And you'll be able to use your phone during your stay in Toronto if your visit happens during 30 days following your last renewal. Of course, cancelling completely is entirely possible and is ultimately up to you, but for $45 for 6 months, I wouldn't bother and would rather keep my account in standby for when I get back home. Enjoy the warmth!