Koodo Community

Community

Solved

SIM card and add-on

Hello! I'm travelling internationally. Can I use my Koodo SIM card and get the international calling and data plan in order to call and text, or do I need to get a SIM card from a local cell phone company?

29 replies

Userlevel 1
Where are you heading to, which country? you can use your phone if you add International calling (LD Saver)
Depends on where you are traveling to. Koodo has plan for the US only. If you are travellling any where else you will get roaming charges. MAke sure your phone is unlocked and you can get a sim card from where you are going to use while you are away.
smurfette wrote:

Depends on where you are traveling to. Koodo has plan for the US only. If you are travellli...

If your phone is purchased through Koodo, I would recommend having Koodo unlock the phone to prevent the warranty from being voided. Unlocking Koodo phones via third party retailer will void your warranty. Give Koodo a call from your phone (*611) , they also require 3 months of consecutive bill payments to unlock your phone .
MatB wrote:

Where are you heading to, which country? you can use your phone if you add International calling ...

LD saveer only works if you are in Canada. once you travel out side of Canada you pay roaming fees plus the per min or per text fee.
Userlevel 4
smurfette wrote:

Depends on where you are traveling to. Koodo has plan for the US only. If you are travellli...

Rooting the phone will void the warranty. Using a third party unlock doesn't void the warranty. It only limits troubleshooting if the customer has issues with the unlock and calls the WSP. I have had many custoemrs unlock their phone using websites and independant retailers and were still able to process repairs under warranty without issue.
MatB wrote:

Where are you heading to, which country? you can use your phone if you add International calling ...

http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/long-distance Bottom of page: (1) Calls must originate within Canada. Anytime minutes apply. An overage rate of 40¢/min applies if you exceed your anytime minutes. (2) Calls must originate in Canada. Anytime minutes apply. LD Saver Add-on is required for international calling. Not available in Manitoba.
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

Plus add-ons to use phone overseas: international voice roaming international data roaming intl. LD promo
smurfette wrote:

Unlocking your phone through a third party retailer does void your warranty according to Koodo's website. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/can-i-unlock-my-koodo-phone-with-sim-card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smurfette wrote:

Tyler works for Koodo, Admir, I'm sure he doesn't tell porkies 🙂
MatB wrote:

It says on the Travelling section of Koodo that if you get LD saver and Voice Roaming it will work... Step 1: Go to the Plans and Add-ons page and select Add-ons. Add Int’l Dialing and LD Saver ($2/month) and International Voice Roaming ($0/month). By adding these features, you’ll be able to call and text, while travelling outside of Canada and the U.S. But I'll have to pay roaming fees in the different zones.
smurfette wrote:

I work for Koodo as well lol
MatB wrote:

I'm in Greece right now
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smurfette wrote:

Hahaha! Ok - clash of the titans coming up - and you ARE quite right, Koodo's website does state it 😃
MatB wrote:

I just don't want to get insane roaming charges, right? I would only need it for emergencies, so I don't mind paying .60 for a text.
smurfette wrote:

We are all on the same team 🙂
MatB wrote:

You would also get charged for any incoming text messages. All phones, whether activated on network or not, can call emergency numbers like 911, 112, 119, etc. So you got the emergency usage covered. I don't recommend roaming for cellular service, because it's very expensive. Just stick to Wi-Fi to use email/Skype instead to keep in touch with your family and friends.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smurfette wrote:

This sounds close to what happened on here between MykeC & Erwin http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does_koodo_really_know_your_phone_is_unlocked_by_a_third_party_i_can_answer_that_lets_read_it_inside I am so confused what the correct answer is now since employees are split 50/50 on what the rule is
Userlevel 4
smurfette wrote:

Hmm...I guess, in this case, it comes down to the rep who processes the repair request as well as the manufacturer. I'm not going to argue with Admir about this. He is right, well...the website is right...BOTH are right lol....BUT from what I experienced, I have yet to come across a situation where a customer was charged for having a 3rd party unlock the device when they sent the phone away for in-warranty repairs. That's the ONLY reason why I said what I said. Working tech for as long as I have, I only saw one charge for an "out of warranty" repair only because it was after the warranty did expire. I do know for a fact that if something does go wrong with the phone during the process of the third party unlock, there is nothing the WSP can do about it. MAYBE a factory reset but that's about it My apologies for the confusion, folks! KCCO
Userlevel 1
smurfette wrote:

Regardless of Technical side how to unlock phones, you just said it Dennis and like Sofia explained it: on all Public posts every poster brings his output, all answers tend to same goal, help the person that asked question to choose the answer that will suit his needs. Now it's up to Janita to choose between the 2 presented options: 1. unlock her phone and purchase foreign SIM 2. Use Koodo SIM and add appropriate Koodo add-ons She is the one that will pay all expenses.
smurfette wrote:

I work for Koodo also and it's common knowledge that third party unlocks void the warranty. If any rep is processing repairs for customers with unlocked phones by third party's they should be written up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
smurfette wrote:

The difference is that the repair centre can see if a phone is rooted simply by checking the handset. A standard network unlock code purchased from a 3rd party is the same code that would be provided by koodo. Therefore, the only way to tell that the code was not provided by koodo is to review all the notes on the account history. Even then, if the phone was unlocked by koodo while it was being used on a different account, it may not be possible to locate the records.
If you are going to the sates here are two links that will help you with your add ons: http://help.koodomobile.com/Portals/0/Travelling/2013-055_US%20Roaming_E.R1.pdf http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling
WOW! How about that Koodo customer service eh? 7minutes and already three answers. Two of which were from smurf. How's a guy supposed to get some badge points!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Shane Sekel wrote:

WOW! How about that Koodo customer service eh? 7minutes and already three answers. Two of which w...

What do you mean, Shane? If you have a useful answer to add, feel free to do so, nobody is stopping you 🙂 But I don't think we should be posting just to get badge points...
Userlevel 5
Honestly if your phone is unlocked I would just get a simcard from where ever you are. It will be much cheaper than any roaming packages out there.