Koodo Community
Solved

Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 LTE?

• 28 October 2020
  • 12 replies

Does your service allow connection from of Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE to your services? If not, is that an expected service?

icon

Best answer by Robert T 28 October 2020, 01:20

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The same thing as an Apple Watch, Koodo does not offer suport for LTE watches. You can put an eSIM but that’s almost it.

I am a bit confused. The watch is described as “The Gear S3 frontier (LTE) is equipped with an eSIM, which functions as a SIM card” so that sounds like you do support it or is that incorrect?

I guess I must ask, how do I go about purchasing an eSIM with Koodo and is there a link to see if it just piggy  backs off the associated connected phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here are the eSim instructions and details

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am a bit confused. The watch is described as “The Gear S3 frontier (LTE) is equipped with an eSIM, which functions as a SIM card” so that sounds like you do support it or is that incorrect?

To be honest I’m confused as well. Bernard says it’s not compatible but Koodo does offer eSIMs. 

I will go down to a kiosk and scope this out and report back in a few days but I doubt there is any support for using it online (maybe pay as you go standalone?). Costs for Telus to support this are a bit much when compared to Koodo costs so I just cannot see these things taking off. Telus offers a 20 Gg 85/mo peace of mind plan that is supposedly supporting these but I don’t need all that data, a family plan or a lot of tech support let alone the larger monthly bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think Bernard is referring to something else.  If a watch needs an esim plan and Koodo offers esim support, it should work.  Or else you can cancel.  And Koodo have a 15 day return policy for a plan too as long as you are within the reasonable usage limits

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/returning-or-exchanging-your-koodo-phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

eSIM availability isn’t the only requirement for Apple watch or other Android watch.

Telus offers $10 Apple watch (or Android watch) plan as an “add-on” to  an existing Telus plan. The apple watch will share the same number and data with an existing plan. That feature isn’t available with Koodo.

Some Android watches can operate independently and need an eSIM (or physical SIM) to operate. But you would have to activate it  on a normal cellular Koodo plan  - which can cost you $35+/month with Koodo. It isn’t worth doing it, IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

eSIM availability isn’t the only requirement for Apple watch or other Android watch.

Telus offers $10 Apple watch (or Android watch) plan as an “add-on” to  an existing Telus plan. The apple watch will share the same number and data with an existing plan. That feature isn’t available with Koodo.

Some Android watches can operate independently and need an eSIM (or physical SIM) to operate. But you would have to activate it  on a normal cellular Koodo plan  - which can cost you $35+/month with Koodo. It isn’t worth doing it, IMO.

Ok that was the confusing part.  In both of this post or the Apple watch post did either of the OP specifically ask for a Watch add-on plan to an existing plan that will share the same number and data.

Based on the question asked, I interpreted it as “can I get a plan/data/service on my watch”.  The answer is yes you can go through the esim process

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For the few watches I’ve seen setup, when you get to the screen to connect it to a cellular plan it will redirect you to the site for your carrier in which you continue to the provisioning of a cellular plan.

I would assume, if you’re with Koodo, at this step it would simply fail as Koodo doesn’t have the specific watching pairing ability/watch specific plans like Telus does.

Thanks all responders and those continuing with additional tidbits. I know a whole lot more than I did when I originally asked the question. @Dinh provided a good overview that was missing for those not in the know. @Allan M was bang on for the experience of trying to connect. When I saw the watch was LTE capable, I just assumed there would be some service add-on that would allow the watch to connect to the network and the Bluetooth pairing somehow bridged the gap for the pairing to the owners main phone part of the setup. 
I never really “needed” LTE anyway but I would shell out a few bucks for the convenience and novelty.
I can only guess that many potential buyers using the no frills networks will have zero desire to fork out what looks to be more than 25% of the monthly cost for a convenience. I also cannot see why the manufacturer would not try and persuade this tech/service to be across as many service providers as possible to encourage adoption of these types of devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks all responders and those continuing with additional tidbits. I know a whole lot more than I did when I originally asked the question. @Dinh provided a good overview that was missing for those not in the know. @Allan M was bang on for the experience of trying to connect. When I saw the watch was LTE capable, I just assumed there would be some service add-on that would allow the watch to connect to the network and the Bluetooth pairing somehow bridged the gap for the pairing to the owners main phone part of the setup. 
I never really “needed” LTE anyway but I would shell out a few bucks for the convenience and novelty.
I can only guess that many potential buyers using the no frills networks will have zero desire to fork out what looks to be more than 25% of the monthly cost for a convenience. I also cannot see why the manufacturer would not try and persuade this tech/service to be across as many service providers as possible to encourage adoption of these types of devices. 

Because the carriers don’t want to. They prefer having a premium brand (Telus, Bell, Rogers) get this feature. If 5G, unlimited data and LTE watch capabilities were available with lower tiers brands, then no one will ever go with the premium ones. I guess most people willing to pay for an Apple/Samsung Watch are willing to go with premium brands for that feature. Personally, I couldn’t care less.