Koodo Community
Question

roaming question

• 26 July 2019
  • 4 replies

I am staying in Japan now and I got bars (docomo).
I visit Japan often and last time I was here 4 months ago, there was no roaming so it looks like they started it recently. I actually do not want to use roaming and I turned the data off. However the bars are still there and I got a call from a Ontario number(where I’m from, but I don’t recognize the number). There is a voice mail message too. I did not apply for “easy roam” etc. so I wonder why I get a call. My questions are

(1) why do I get calls from Canada and how much does it cost if I pick them up, and/or listen to voicemail?

(2) how can I entirely turn off any kind of incoming calls? My phone is very private and anyone who knows my number knows I’m out of the country and I want to shut off all the calls. My phone is IPhone 6s and I cannot find any settings for this except cellular data off, which I had already done before getting the call.

Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You dont get charged for roaming unless you use your phone to talk, send message, or use data.
It's ok to just connect to the network. There is no charge for that. If you didnt want to connect to the network, just turn on airplane mode or take out your sim.

1) you get calls since you are connected to the roaming network. If you have easy roam you will be charged $12 per 24hour period to use your plan. If you exceed your canadian plan, you may incur regular overages on top of that.
If you do not have easy roam, talk while in Japan is $2.50 per minute.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/easy-roam

https://www.koodomobile.com/payperuse?INTCMP=KMNew_EasyRoamCTA_PayPerUse

2) You cannot just turn off calls and leave the rest on. If you eceive a call, just dont answer it and you will be fine. If you do not want to text or use data either, just turn on airplane more or better yet, remove your sim from your phone to be 100% safe
Thank you for the detailed reply Dennis. Much appreciate it.

One more quick question. Does the $2.50 fee apply to the voicemail? I’d think so, but just to make sure.

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you for the detailed reply Dennis. Much appreciate it.

One more quick question. Does the $2.50 fee apply to the voicemail? I’d think so, but just to make sure.

Thank you.

Yes. 🙂
Thank you Mayumi 🙂