Koodo Community
Question

Roaming inappropriately charged in UK

• 14 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, We arrived in UK on Dec 15th. I had NOT activated easy roam as we had decided to use a UK SIM card while there , unfortunately only one SIM card arrived so I had the Koodo SIM in the whole time.  I tried to text my mum (who lives in UK) on my Koodo account on arrival but none of the texts went through. Then I turned off cellular data and data roaming on my phone and never used the phone unless I was on WIFI or tethered to my husbands phone using the Uk SIM.

Nevertheless I still have $62.36 in “additional uses, data and SMS”. When I go into the breakdown it only itemizes $2.46 of data usage - I dont understand how this can happen as I thought I had shut off data roaming, Where the $62.36 came from as not itemized  - can this be refunded please. How do I prevent this happening again in future. 

Thanks

Jill

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nothing else is stated as part of the charges? What sort of outgoing SMS do you have showing up? Sometimes reporting detailed roaming is delayed between carriers. Were you connected to a UK network before you shut off cellular data and roaming? The pay-per-use rates are exorbitant when roaming. It’s $5/MB, 60 cents per outgoing SMS, $2.00 per minute. It wouldn’t take much usage at all to hit 62.36

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you downloaded your detailed pdf ebill from self serve? There should be a better breakdown there 

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the PDF and you are totally correct, it gave more details but they don't make sense. Copy of relevent part below. It seems to say I sent 100 roaming text messages but 1) I dont think I sent 100 messages the whole time I was away and 2) After the first day at the airport I never sent text messages unless I was on WIFI or tethered to my husbands phone with a UK SIM in it

International GPRS Data Roaming $2.36

Total used 0.469 (MB)

Picture Messaging - Pictures $0.00

Total used 5 (Pic)

Roaming Txt Msg - Sent $60.00

Total used 100 (Msg)

Thanks 

Jill

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Text messages don't use wifi. They are purely over the cellular network.

Only messaging apps Like Facebook messenger or whatsapp uses WiFi or data to send messages.

What texting app did you use while in the UK?