Koodo Community
Solved

Roaming in the USA for about 2.5 months

• 7 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello,

This winter, I will be in the USA for about 2.5 months and I am looking for a Koodo Roaming package where I would only pay for the voice (only incoming calls) and SMS but without any data plan. I already have a 15GB hotspot data plan with AT&T.

Thanks in advance for your support :)
Jean L.
icon

Best answer by srlawren 8 November 2018, 01:34

I was more concerned about incoming calls toward my Koodo account. Is it thinkable to use a call-forward feature from my Koodo account toward a VoIP account?

@JLamontagne yes, you could do that. Make sure you turn on call forwarding to your Skype phone number (I hope it's a Canadian phone number?) before leaving Canada. Actually I'm not sure, do you get a phone number with Skype? If not, you might want to also get a Fongo account with a Canadian phone number and call forward to that for your incoming calls. You can still use Skype for outbound if you like. [Or, better yet, use Hangouts but first confirm your phone number before leaving Canada so outbound calls with show up with your regular Koodo phone number as the caller ID info.]

For SMS texts, call forwarding doesn't help unfortunately. There is a workaround of sorts but it's ugly and requires you to have a spare Android phone that you can leave in Canada, with your Koodo SIM card in it, powered on, connected to a charger so it has uninterrupted power.
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not an available option. Since you'll have a data plan, if you get a voip App like fongo, you'll get a Canadian number for fre that you can use t talk and text with over WiFi or data.
Thanks Goran for taking the time to answer my question!

I already have a Skype unlimited phone package from which I can call anywhere in Norh America for less that 3 $ per month.

I was more concerned about incoming calls toward my Koodo account. Is it thinkable to use a call-forward feature from my Koodo account toward a VoIP account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@JLamontagne yes, you could do that. Make sure you turn on call forwarding to your Skype phone number (I hope it's a Canadian phone number?) before leaving Canada. Actually I'm not sure, do you get a phone number with Skype? If not, you might want to also get a Fongo account with a Canadian phone number and call forward to that for your incoming calls. You can still use Skype for outbound if you like. [Or, better yet, use Hangouts but first confirm your phone number before leaving Canada so outbound calls with show up with your regular Koodo phone number as the caller ID info.]

For SMS texts, call forwarding doesn't help unfortunately. There is a workaround of sorts but it's ugly and requires you to have a spare Android phone that you can leave in Canada, with your Koodo SIM card in it, powered on, connected to a charger so it has uninterrupted power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you don't have a big tab balance, port your number to CallCentric, a U.S. VoIP service. Your incoming calls and texts, but not SMS or anything involving data can then be forwarded to any Canadian or US number very cheaply, so your AT&T handset will effectively have 2 incoming numbers. You can also use a VoIP app to make calls using your Canadian number on your AT&T hotspot.

I snowbird for several months every year. People will quickly stop calling you if it involves long distance, or if they are getting calls from "unknown" numbers, even if it is free. It's handy to have a "local" number for existing contacts as well as new people you meet down south.

You can port back to mobile when you return, but of course you will have to pick a new plan from whatever is then currently offered. I maintain the forwarding arrangement year-round since I live in an area where I can visit 4 different area codes over 2 countries within a one-hour drive.