Koodo Community
Question

Roaming alert email received while at home sleeping

• 11 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi.

I am concerned as about 3:31am this morning I received an email saying someone is roaming on my account and it references the last few numbers of my account number and phone number.

I was sleeping at that time not to mention we are locked down at the moment, so roaming is not possible.

Has this happened to anyone else and what can i do?

Thanks.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How close is the phone with that number to the US border? You don't actually need to be in the US to pick up a signal from an American tower.

I am in a border town, but nowhere near the actual crossover.  My home is never an issue and I was sleeping and the phone wasn’t moving and there should not be  an email coming at 3:31am in the morning.  I manually selected Koodo as my network so there should not be any changing of networks.  I am asking if anyone has had this email before and what they did with it?  As it is very difficult to get a Koodo rep to talk with, I was reaching out to the community for their feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The email means that, however briefly, the phone connected to a US tower. If you've verified that the phone is in manual mode and is now connected to koodo you can safely ignore the message. Be aware that if the phone is restarted network selection will revert to automatic. My android phone restarts automatically once a week at 2:00 am, or any time an OS update is installed.

Good to know it goes back to automatic, but in either case, I would dispute any charges for easy roam as that is an automatic $8 and I am not in the United States.  I am not near enough the border for this to be an issue in my opinion.  If i was by the Niagara River, I could understand it, but I am few miles away.  Thanks for the restart information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good to know it goes back to automatic, but in either case, I would dispute any charges for easy roam as that is an automatic $8 and I am not in the United States.  I am not near enough the border for this to be an issue in my opinion.  If i was by the Niagara River, I could understand it, but I am few miles away.  Thanks for the restart information. 

That's called accidental roaming and koodo will credit those charges as a matter of policy. You just need to let them know if they show up on the bill. Koodo doesn't actually track the location of the phone, just which towers it connects to.

BTW, cellphone towers have a range of up to 22 miles.