Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Riding the mountains in Japan for 1 month!

I would like to set up my moto G to text my travel companion from Australia and Canada. I'm from Canada. But we will travelling in Japan together.. I need help!!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo doesn't offer any roaming packages for outside North America. Standard pay-per-use rates will apply of $0.60 per sent message and $0.60 per received (yes, a charge for both incoming and outgoing). The only other option would be to unlock your phone and get a local sim card (buy prepaid service) to use in your phone for the duration of your trip
Userlevel 3
Just to add you're looking at $2.50 minute $0.60 SMS and $10 MB for data
I have read about unlocking the phone. How is it done. Do I have to install as add-on to receive .60 per message?
Userlevel 7
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

I have read about unlocking the phone. How is it done. Do I have to install as add-on to receiv...

If you unlock your phone, it's $50 from Koodo, which is the best/cheapest way for iPhones. They can only do this if it's their own phone and you have your account in good standing for 90 days. You won't even need to worry about any add-ons by using this method since you'll be using a local SIM/phone # in Japan. If you don't want to do this, then you'll pay the standard rates that Rocky mentioned. You'll need both the LD saver add-on and International dialing add-ons enabled to use calls or data outside of Canada (texts only need the latter).
Userlevel 3
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

I have read about unlocking the phone. How is it done. Do I have to install as add-on to receiv...

If you wish to unlock your iphone I'd suggest doing it ASAP. Reason being it takes a couple of days to unlock iphones. You'd have to back up your phone and resync your phone to itunes using a non koodo sim card after koodo initiates the unlock request.
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

Thanks for you help!
Userlevel 3
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

You're welcome any other questions?
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

Do roaming charges come into effect when I send a text at .60?
Userlevel 7
Gwen Goodwin wrote:

Roaming charges come into effect as soon as you're connected to a foreign carrier. Basically if you're not on Koodo, you're roaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Japan has a totally different mobile system. Basically there is no free wifi unless you have a contract with one of the mobile providers. Most people use data for emails instead of SMS. You can buy a SIM card around $50 ~ $60 for about 100minutes of talk time, or $50 for 500 MB.... There is no easy/cheap way to use your mobile phone there for a short visit. So I just want to give you some information on what I did when I went to Japan last month. I brought my Nexus 4 with no SIM card to avoid roaming charges. I rented a portable WIFI device ( you can use either Poket WIFI or WI MAX) for $70 for a month that lets you use about 360MB/day. I could access data anywhere ( no need to find free wifi spots) to browse sightseeing spots, transit info, restaurants, facebook, send/receive emails...etc. I could use Skype to make phone calls to my friends. You can use it for up to 10 devices ( I had connected 4 mobiles and 1 laptop) There are many WIFI Rental companies to choose from. So it is worth checking first on which one will best fit your needs - price, insurance and how to receive/return ..