Koodo Community

Community

Return to Old Data Saver

Userlevel 6
Okay, so I've been comparing providers a lot lately (specifically Koodo, Fido and Virgin, the discount brands) and mostly it seems that Koodo's on top. Paying the same for talk and text plans while only paying $5 - $10 extra IF you chose to go on a larger Tab rather than standard on the data plans. Koodo's looking good compared to that. However there is one way that Koodo falls short of Virgin (not Fido) it's the flexible data rate on the talk and text plans. Koodo's data saver goes: Up to 25 KB Free > More than 25 KB to 25 MB $5 > More than 25 MB to 100 MB $10 > More than 100 MB to 250 MB $15 > More than 250 MB $5/250 MB meanwhile, Virgin is using the same data saver rate that Koodo was using up until July 14th. (A data saver rate that I think Virgin copied from Koodo to begin with.) I know that for most customers on a talk and text plan data is secondary and often even blocked intentionally, but that's no excuse to let Virgin have a one-up on Koodo.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
I believe they removed the Old Data Saver due to the new Pay-Per-Use data. They did this because the old data overages were extremely expensive so they basically added the Old Data Saver add-on to all the plans are Pay-Per-Use data. Maybe I'm not understanding something...
Userlevel 6
John Lee wrote:

I believe they removed the Old Data Saver due to the new Pay-Per-Use data. They did this because ...

Well, the current Data Saver included in the talk and text plans is certainly better than Pay-Per-Use data. It was even better before the switch on July 14th. Back in the old days (from Feb 13th 2013 to July 13th 2013 to be exact) the data saver was as follows: 1 Up to 25 KB $0 2 25 KB - 25 MB $5 3 25 MB - 100 MB $10 4 100 MB - 300 MB $15 5 300 MB - 1 GB $20 6 1 GB - 3 GB $30 7 More than 3 GB $10/GB Virgin copied that model (I think, maybe it was the other way around), but when the plans changed for all the service providers Koodo changed to the data saver model I quoted in the original post while Virgin kept the much better model.
I had to buy an LTE device from Fido to use as my data hub for my Koodo phones and laptops as nobody else comes close to the flex data plan when you buy the device outright at Fido. I would of preferred to use my phone as the hotspot and just add a flex plan for data but Koodo is just not competitive with Fido for data with the LTE mobile hotspot device. It's a shame pricing forces customers to go to two separate providers and devices and plans to combine to get the best overall value!
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

I had to buy an LTE device from Fido to use as my data hub for my Koodo phones and laptops as nob...

If Koodo ever adds mobile hotspots to their inventory you might start to see something competitive there. As it stands though, Koodo's only offering phones.
Phil Joseph wrote:

I had to buy an LTE device from Fido to use as my data hub for my Koodo phones and laptops as nob...

What do you mean "add mobile hotspots"?
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

Internet only devices, they're basically just wifi routers that connect to a cellular provider. Fido has them, Koodo doesn't.
Phil Joseph wrote:

Oh god, I hope that never happens. I'll never understand people trying to turn Koodo into something it's not. It is a "discount cell phone provider" only. So things like tablets, wifi routers, etc, should not even be contemplated about. There is no reason to bloat Koodo up like that. Let's keep Koodo where they've succeeded in the past, not try to make them as terrible as the others.
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

Chill Marcus, Koodo has no plan for internet only devices anyway. But to be honest, who would it hurt?
Phil Joseph wrote:

Koodo because it takes away from what they are about.
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

Okay two things: 1) Again, chill, it's not even on the horizon, no sense getting upset. 2) Whatever, this is off topic anyway.
Phil Joseph wrote:

Dude, I am chill. I never once ever gave the impression that I was angry.
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

Well, angry and upset are too different things, and you did sort of freak out once you found out what mobile hotspots are. But let's forget about all that, the original post was about the data saver included in the Talk and Text plans. I think that it was better before the switch in plans and Virgin is still using the same model so I see no reason why Koodo can't too.
Phil Joseph wrote:

I did not "freak out". I gave my opinion on why I am against internet only devices on Koodo.
Userlevel 6
Phil Joseph wrote:

WHATEVER MOVING ON
Yep I agree, although Koodo is coming closer with the data add on that goes to 3GBfor 30.00 unfortunately only half of Fido's 6GB hence motivation for the move...the point being Koodo could prevent sales to Fido by upping the value of the data add on and preventing the need for an additional hotspot device.