Koodo Community
Solved

retail price phone

• 15 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Hey! I'm looking to buy the moto g power at the retail price option on koodo. Wondering how this differs from buying a phone and putting it on a prepaid plan? Do I completely own the phone if I buy it on retail price (the $315 option). Am I locked into the retail price plans or could I simply switch to a koodo prepaid sim and put a prepaid plan on it!? Appreciate it! Summary: do I own the phone? Can I switch it to a prepaid plan at any time? 

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 15 June 2021, 02:45

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The only difference is you don’t have the tab to pay for. 

In saying that though the tab is like an interest free loan so as long as you’re staying with Koodo for at leasts 2 years you may as well get it. They have a bunch of phones for $10-$15/m ($240-$360 total) that would be better than the g power for around the same total price across the 2 years.

The only difference is you don’t have the tab to pay for. 

In saying that though the tab is like an interest free loan so as long as you’re staying with Koodo for at leasts 2 years you may as well get it. They have a bunch of phones for $10-$15/m ($240-$360 total) that would be better than the g power for around the same total price across the 2 years.

So, still some confusion here sorry. If the tab is payed out then why can't I stick it on a prepaid plan instead!? Thanks for the response! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Because it's a way to incentivize going to postpaid.
There's a limited number of phones you can get as a prepaid customer and going to postpaid opens up the tab option. You can also look to other retailers for a mid range phone at a good price.

There's a limited number of phones you can get as a prepaid customer and going to postpaid opens up the tab option. You can also look to other retailers for a mid range phone at a good price.

I'm still not understanding. Can it be switched to a prepaid plan at any time then? 

I'm still not understanding. Can it be switched to a prepaid plan at any time then? 

Prepaid customers can bring just about any phone they want unlocked to koodo. I currently run a pixel 3 on koodo prepaid. So why couldn't I use this phone if I flat out own it with no tab? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid customers can bring just about any phone they want unlocked to koodo. I currently run a pixel 3 on koodo prepaid. So why couldn't I use this phone if I flat out own it with no tab? 

You can do that. No one is disputing it. We are only letting you know that you can get the phone on a Tab, which is subsidized, as long as you stick with Koodo on a postpaid plan for the entire 24-month period.

You can also choose to buy the phone at the retail price and stick with a prepaid plan, albeit not with Koodo. You will need to buy it from a third-party retailer, such as Amazon, eBay,  or other big-box stores. If you were to purchase the phone with Koodo, you will have to add a postpaid plan, even at the retail price. 

For your information, these are the prepaid phones you can choose with Koodo, which does not include the Moto G Power. https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-phones

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nothing is stoppk g you from using any phone you want on prepaid. You're just not able to buy a phone from Koodo that's not in the “prepaid”phone section if you're in prepaid.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo won't allow prepaid customers to buy a postpaid phone, not even at retail price. However there is absolutely nothing to stop you from getting it from any seller that wants to sell it, and use it with prepaid. I'm currently using the S21 Ultra with prepaid, so anything is possible 😄

Edit: Ugh, butterfingers. As others before me said 🤣