Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Receiving texts in USA, charges?

If I have a plan which includes unlimited messaging and I travel to the USA, will I be charged extra if I only receive texts while away? Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there... Sure thing... Koodo is a Canadian company, so if you are using your phone in the USA you are subject to charges... SMS are 0.60$/sms, minutes are 1.50$/min and data is $5.00/MB... check the roaming packs Koodo has, it is always the best option... http://help.koodomobile.com/Portals/0/Travelling/USRoaming_E.pdf
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured so, but see that the texts received already while in the US (3 of them) were billed at $0, so it didn't make sense. Alternatively, I could turn off texting on the phone so none can be received, but not sure exactly how to do that. Any thoughts on that? (have purchased the US roaming 40min so can use the phone if needed, but just don't need texting) Thanks again.
Userlevel 2
Jeremy wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured so, but see that the texts received already while in the US...

You cannot turn off receiving text messages without also disabling the ability to receive or make calls. Technically speaking, text messages (SMS) are piggy-backed onto the voice data stream.
Userlevel 3
Jeremy wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured so, but see that the texts received already while in the US...

Correct and only way to prevent being charged is to take the sim out completely or put your phone in airplane/flight mode.
Thanks again. Will have to just add the $15 400sent/rcvd pkg then to be safe.
Userlevel 3
Jeremy wrote:

Just to give a heads up it's $0.04 for each extra text after the 400. Also, there's no way for Koodo to track your useage.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Jeremy wrote:

Rocky, remember that with the 30 day US Roaming text pack as soon as client uses 401 text messages, a new 400 text bucket will be automatically added for $15... It is for the 30 day US roaming combo that clients pay 0.04$/sms when they go over the 400...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I got charged once for texts received while in the US and called Koodo. They were kind enough to credit the charges back!