Koodo Community
Solved

Quebec plan in Ottawa

Need Quebec plan in Ottawa. I live in Ottawa and Videotron is now offering local numbers with their 6gb plan. I called Koodo and they can't match because I'm in Ontario. Well I thought the $49 koodo plan was to compete with Videotron. Videotron is making an effort to get Ottawa clients. Howcome koodo is not trying to keep Ottawa clients? I would have switched but I like koodo so I'm giving koodo a second chance...

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The idea of bring competitors to ask for better plans is okay. However, as you put the request in a public forum, your request will inherently be turned down. The simple reason is: If Koodo give you a "second chance", other customers will ask for it also.
Im not asking for a retention plan. Im asking for their Quebec plan-which is only there to compete with videotron- to be made available in Ottawa, a city where videotron puts flyers in peoples mailboxes and provides service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Im not asking for a retention plan. Im asking for their Quebec plan-which is only there to compe...

Can you share a snapshot of the flyer?  If that was cheap, I would suggest you change to Videotron, honestly.

Reported rateplans in Ontario (that includes Ottawa?) don't have videotron: http://www.comparecellular.ca/compare-plans-in-ontario/mobile-phones/

deniz wrote:

Im not asking for a retention plan. Im asking for their Quebec plan-which is only there to compe...

They only have these plans in Quebec and Ottawa. I dont have the flyer anymore but check their website and you will see that they have service (not roaming, their own towers) in Ottawa. Check Red Flag Deals, there are threads about service in Ottawa. And i called when I got the flyer, and confirmed I could keep my Ottawa number. I will be switching soon but I've been happy with Koodo for a long time so I'd like to stay if they can fix this. . Somebody high up needs to make a quick decision. That's all there is. The plan is there to compete with videotron. But they didnt know videotron had service in Ottawa. Im going the extra mile to let them know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Im seeing a videotron kiosk in Ottawa and also Reddit users discussing videotron availably as of Early 2017
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

uhm, look like you are right about videotron in Ottawa. However, the plans right now are just little better than Koodo https://videotron.com/residential/b/mobile/plans/mobile-plans/N-1wyi4uyZb54w51 

$55 for 2GB? unlimited calling but no discount on phone Tab? (koodo promo for last week of black friday was better with $10 off and 2GB bonus)

I found the the promo, you mentioned, but it was expired as of now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

I thought Koodo offered the Quebec plans in the border Ontario cities since Videotron offered service there.  I remember that this was applicable to certain area codes in one of the community posts but I cant seem to find the post 
deniz wrote:

I called in again because this makes sense. I spoke to the nicest person, but she said the plans are based on the area code. She cant change it. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Did they say which area codes?
deniz wrote:

Hmm fair question. No. She said quebec area codes. But maybe their system is smarter (i only see ontario plans in self serve)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Well if Koodo is unable to beat Videotron's pricing, I say move to videotron.  Vote with your wallet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

There is a Koodo store a couple miles from you Deniz. Have you checked with them? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Bernard, Are you saying that Koodo is able to do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

I'm saying that certain stores have some flexibility to ensure they remain competitive. It doesn't necessarily come without compromises. ID are required with current address, one may have to take a non-Ontario number etc. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

This sounds very cloak and dagger like. 

[i]What are the clear and specific requirements?  What are the levels of flexibility you are speaking of? 

This should be clearly spelt out so everyone knows the rules, and not just for a lucky few (like the dreaded retention plans of other carriers)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Dennis, the no1 rule of a retention plan is not telling it publicly :)) or it won't be a retention plan anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

But Koodo frowns on retention plans and is about being fair and open.  That no one should get a better plan because they complained.  You get what everyone else gets.  This Quebec plan seems to be a move away from this train of thought
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Well, that is the idea, but in reality, like Bernard said, they need to be competitive.

If someone in Ottawa has better public deals with Videotron and leave Koodo, it is a sign for matching and making deals.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

Hara-Kiri is not in the plans Dennis. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
deniz wrote:

LOL

Disappointed, but that actually made me lol
Userlevel 6
Just out of curiosity, did Vidéotron built towers in Ottawa or are the towers built in Gatineau but has them pointing to Ottawa? Because if they are using their partner towers to offer QC plans in Ottawa, why not just have those plans available nationwide.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did Vidéotron built towers in Ottawa or are the towers built in Gatineau b...

They had some towers in Ottawa, I read somewhere.  They properly wanted to prove that they are a part of Canada, when they had signals at the capital.