Koodo Community
Solved

Price Change

• 17 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Is Koodo allowed to change the prices of services I pay for without contacting me? I found that they increased the charge for my data block without consulting me first. Are they allowed to do this??

icon

Best answer by Ranjan Koodo 17 September 2020, 19:30

@Scarlet - as some of the folks above have mentioned, whenever there is a pricing change impacting your services, we are obligated to notify you in advance. The increase for your add-on would have been mentioned on your July bill.

Unfortunately you’re using an email here that isn’t linked to a Koodo account, so I’m unable to verify, but if you log into self serve and view your PDF ebill for previous months, you will see the notification there. 

Hope that helps. 

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes the can change the price and I believe that they did advertised the price increase. And no, they do not have to consult with you before they make changes. At the end of the day, look at the full package. If you are not happy, vote with your wallet.

Yes the can change the price and I believe that they did advertised the price increase. And no, they do not have to consult with you before they make changes. At the end of the day, look at the full package. If you are not happy, vote with your wallet.

If they advertised it, then why didn't I receive an email notifying me? You would think if they are going to increase the prices, they would at least notify all of their current clients via email at the bare minimum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They did send out notifications. My only guess is somehow you were missed or it went to junk or something. Do you have Koodo blocked or see anything in junk or something?

They did send out notifications. My only guess is somehow you were missed or it went to junk or something. Do you have Koodo blocked or see anything in junk or something?

I don't have them blocked. I receive their emails all the time. There is nothing in my junk folder or garbage about price changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well I could flag this for a Rep to look into if anything was sent out to you. But at the end of the day no system. Is 100% and if something glitched Koodo won't consider itself at fault. They do need to give you at least 30 days advance notice but your right is only that you can refuse it and leave Koodo without penalty. At the end of the day, you pay the increase or go to another carrier without penalty.

Well I could flag this for a Rep to look into if anything was sent out to you. But at the end of the day no system. Is 100% and if something glitched Koodo won't consider itself at fault. They do need to give you at least 30 days advance notice but your right is only that you can refuse it and leave Koodo without penalty. At the end of the day, you pay the increase or go to another carrier without penalty.

That doesnt seem right. If there was a glitch on Koodo's end, then they should take responsibility. I went through my email again just to make sure and there is nothing about changes to prices. Only about keeping us connected during COVID and letting me know my bill is ready 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sure they'd take “responsibility “but not in the sense that they did not make the effort to inform their customers of the change. I just mean to say the change in price will carry on and your options are as I said above. And that's true for any price change.

Sure they'd take “responsibility “but not in the sense that they did not make the effort to inform their customers of the change. I just mean to say the change in price will carry on and your options are as I said above. And that's true for any price change.

Thank you for the feedback. It just doesn’t sit well with me about the fact that I never received any notification about the price change. So when suddenly my bill goes up for, at the moment, seemingly no reason, I have a problem with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Scarlet - as some of the folks above have mentioned, whenever there is a pricing change impacting your services, we are obligated to notify you in advance. The increase for your add-on would have been mentioned on your July bill.

Unfortunately you’re using an email here that isn’t linked to a Koodo account, so I’m unable to verify, but if you log into self serve and view your PDF ebill for previous months, you will see the notification there. 

Hope that helps. 

Hope that helps. 

After going through my bills, I just found it on my August Bill. I would be more than happy to supply the email that is connected through my account.

Seeing as I signed up for paperless billing, that is a sneaky way to inform an individual about price changes. Most people don’t look at their bills beyond the cost and as long as that cost is the same as previous months, there is no reason to read through it. I usually receive an email informing me my bill is ready and pay it that way.

What I don’t understand is why an email was not sent out to notify me instead. This would be a more straightforward approach when notifying customers of price changes, especially when you encourage paperless billing options for clients (sent to an email instead of mailing it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Most people don’t look at their bills beyond the cost and as long as that cost is the same as previous months,...”

I agreed with this. I hope they can put this type of notification especially price increase notification on top or the first page as  “Heads up”.

This add -on used to be free, now they decided to increase.  You have options to keep it or remove it.  If you remove it, then you have to go to setting on your phone and adjust your phone not to access data. You need to watch out for data leakage, apps background updates… etc.

This add -on used to be free, now they decided to increase.  You have options to keep it or remove it.  If you remove it, then you have to go to setting on your phone and adjust your phone not to access data. You need to watch out for data leakage, apps background updates… etc.

Doing that can be very difficult. Plus there is always the chance something might slip and get missed. I just don’t see why it should cost you to not use data. I appreciate that for so little, it ensures I will never had a data problem or risk it leaking on my dime, but increasing it with what feels like no warning just doesn’t feel right...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hope that helps. 

After going through my bills, I just found it on my August Bill. I would be more than happy to supply the email that is connected through my account.

Seeing as I signed up for paperless billing, that is a sneaky way to inform an individual about price changes. Most people don’t look at their bills beyond the cost and as long as that cost is the same as previous months, there is no reason to read through it. I usually receive an email informing me my bill is ready and pay it that way.

What I don’t understand is why an email was not sent out to notify me instead. This would be a more straightforward approach when notifying customers of price changes, especially when you encourage paperless billing options for clients (sent to an email instead of mailing it).

So these are separate issues.  Your issue was that you needed to be warned of the price increase, and as you see in your detailed pdf ebill it is there.  It is a customer’s responsibility to review their bill.

Also an email was sent out as you see here.  This was above and beyond what is required but they did do it.  

https://community.koodomobile.com/billing-66726/data-block-fee-increased-7799942

Emails could easily be missed.  The only official way to communicate a billing change is via your pdf ebill.

All i read from you is outrage.  But clearly Koodo did communicate this.  At a certain point, the customer has to hold some accountability here.  Koodo cant make customers read their bills or emails.

[...]but increasing it with what feels like no warning just doesn’t feel right...

So even though you continue to say the increase was without warning, you clearly have admitted you see the notification on your August Bill… what I would call “fair warning”