Koodo Community
Question

Port my phone number from one plan to another in the same account

• 17 October 2019
  • 12 replies

I have 2 plans in the same account

Plan A no tab

Plan B with tab

I want to port my Plan A phone number to my Plan B, and cancel my Plan A.  Is it possible?

What are my options?  Thanks in advance.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've been told it can be done with a Rep that knows about it, but the usual answer is no. You'd have to request a callback to try to get it done. If you can't get a Rep to do it, you'll have to port the number out and back in again. Either to Koodo prepaid or a VoIP service.

So it depends on whether the Rep knows how to do it.  So I will keep calling Koodo until the Rep can help me.  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So it depends on whether the Rep knows how to do it.  So I will keep calling Koodo until the Rep can help me.  Thanks

You could also save your time by porting the plan A number to Koodo prepaid/Public mobile ($10 for the SIM or cheaper). Then you port the number back to Koodo plan B.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could also save your time by porting the plan A number to Koodo prepaid/Public mobile ($10 for the SIM or cheaper). Then you port the number back to Koodo plan B.

Port it out to Koodo prepaid, then back again. In-house porting can be almost instantaneous compared to involving another supplier.

Instantaneous…...that sounds good.  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Should be mentioned: you will most likely have to fork over for a baseplan to activate a Koodo prepaid account. At least you will be able to continue receiving calls at the same number. Porting it out to a VoIP service will mean a delay of a few days at each phase.

Thanks.  Koodo should make it easier….just change the phone numbers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s a way to prevent someone from getting offers that their number wasn’t given.

People all the time are trying to switch numbers to a grandfathered plan or a plan that got a bunch of bonus data through a special offer and the person with the bonus data doesn’t need it but the other does.

They’re trying to prevent that sort of stuff afaik.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s a way to prevent someone from getting offers that their number wasn’t given.

People all the time are trying to switch numbers to a grandfathered plan or a plan that got a bunch of bonus data through a special offer and the person with the bonus data doesn’t need it but the other does.

They’re trying to prevent that sort of stuff afaik.

Many people would like to “leapfrog” their plan to maintain some ancient plan no longer offered. It’s a legitimate choice. We’ve recently seen reported that some plan holders are being given expiry notices for some time down the road, which apparently is OK for the carriers to do since most users are no longer hostage to long term contracts except for their hardware, which can easily be resolved by paying the balance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But if you do what’s been suggested, the problem is that one of the plans will be closed. You can’t keep the phone plan of the line that’s been ported out. SO if you had 2 grandfathered plans and you would like to switch them between, it’s not as easy as what’s been mentioned above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But if you do what’s been suggested, the problem is that one of the plans will be closed. You can’t keep the phone plan of the line that’s been ported out. SO if you had 2 grandfathered plans and you would like to switch them between, it’s not as easy as what’s been mentioned above.

@Robert T while your statement is 100% correct, it seems that @See Han Tan stated they wanted to close one of the accounts.

Keep Plan B(with tab). Port Plan A(no tab) phone number to Plan B(with tab). Then cancel Plan A(no tab).

Facebook Koodo said possible. 

Koodo Assist called back said not possible.

Funny thing is that there’s no consistency in their feedbacks.