Koodo Community

Community

Please bring better roaming options to Koodo

Userlevel 2
Last September, Koodo's parent company TELUS added another roaming option for their monthly plan customers called Easy Roam which allowed them to pay $7 a day to be able to use the data allotments in their existing data plan while roaming in the US instead of buying a US roaming travel pass. Yesterday (July 28, 2016), TELUS expanded Easy Roam and added 100 more countries to their Easy Roam option enabling their customers to pay $10 a day to use their data allotment while roaming in select countries other than the US. This additional option alleviates a lot of the worries that customers who may need access to the internet while travelling.

As a Koodo customer of two years, I noticed that Koodo's current roaming options consist of only travel packages which don't seem like really good value. Instead, I'd like to see Koodo adopt an additional roaming option like TELUS' Easy Roam to allow Koodo customers to use the data allotment in their monthly postpaid plans while roaming for fees that are comparable to those offered by the parent company TELUS. Hopefully this idea gains support and traction and eventually becomes a reality sometime in the foreseeable future.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Roaming has never been a strong point for Koodo, but it's a small brand. The roaming deals offered are lukewarm when you consider the hidden cost that while you are away you can't be using your home allotment. Balance that against the fact that we can basically walk away from or change our service plans any time without a long commitment.

It would seem to me that there are mechanical issues with roaming that have to be addressed before they would want to push it as a product. A few weeks ago at the start of the travel season this board was awash with people who could not get it going once at their destination. Either no connection or unable to dial out. Most of the time, the solution was simple, but needlessly complicated.

Just my opinion, but a simpler implementation system would be a must first.
Userlevel 2
Hi there,

I'd like to know if it's possible to request for an official update from a Koodo employee or Koodo representative regarding this idea that I suggested about three months ago asking for Koodo to implement roaming options equivalent to Roam Easy from TELUS, Koodo's parent company or even Roam like Home from competitor Rogers. There have also been several others who have proposed the same idea and all of our posts have been labelled as being under consideration for several months now. I'd like to know what stage of the consideration process the ideas are in at the moment. Ideally, it would be great to see if the roaming option can be implemented in time for the Christmas break but even if that's not possible, it would be nice to see the better roaming options be available for sometime early next year. Here are some of the similar posts from other Koodo community members regarding the same idea proposal:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/suggestion-i-would-love-it-if-koodo-offered-a-service-like-fido-roam  <-- under consideration

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/any-chance-of-koodo-offering-a-roam-like-home-service-like-this    <-- updated last year but doesn’t show whether it’s being considered or not so I assume it’s being considered as well.

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/time-to-step-up-your-roaming-game-koodo  <--Under consideration

We seriously need an update Koodo

As much as I've loved everything else about the network, this will likely be a deal breaker for me soon, and I will jump over to Virgin. It is unacceptable that we pay $40 for 50MB in Europe, whereas Fido and Virgin get loads more for $10 a day.

Either give us a timeline or advise us that travellers are better off somewhere else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hazner wrote:

As much as I've loved everything else about the network, this ...

Hi Hazner - although I don't have many details to share at this time, I can say that we're in the process of revamping our suite of roaming packages and on-track to share changes in early 2017.. so stay tuned. 
Hazner wrote:

As much as I've loved everything else about the network, this ...

Any more official info on this?  

I'd love for Koodo to have better roaming options (When my wife's Rogers contract was up we considered switching her to Koodo as well but the US roaming is so much better on Rogers that we decided to stick with it).
Early 2017 is pretty much over.. just saying..