Koodo Community
Solved

Plan option for unique situation

I am in Calgary for 6 months a year and Mexico for 6 months. I use a Mexican chip while in Mexico.

What plan options does Koodo offer for someone in my situation?

Of course I would be briniging my own device.

icon

Best answer by Robert T 18 February 2019, 18:28

Unfortunately, no plans are offered to you by Koodo, nor any other carrier.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert T wrote:

Thanks for your reply Robert,

Would you know if Koodo offers a vacation disconnect allowing a client to retain his number? If so, would you know the details of this?

Appreciate your help, Thank-you,

Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can be dead-in-the-water by using vacation hold on your Koodo service for up to 6 months.

The cheapie route: Go prepaid on Koodo while in Canada. $15 a month to keep the account active + boosters for any minutes and data you may need. When in MX, let Koodo lapse for less than 89 days at a time. Booster balances will be retained.

More elegantly: port your Koodo number to a VoIP service when you leave for MX. That will close your Koodo account, but leave you in possession of your number. Use the voicemail/forwarding capabilities of your VoIP provider to keep in touch with Cdn contacts at your "permanent" number. Some will drop you like a hot potato if they have to call internationally to MX.

Resume Koodo service on your return to Canada.

Check out CallCentric for pay-you-go toll plans on VoIP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Third option - get a phone which allows Wi-Fi calling, and set up a VPN to a Canadian IP address and use Wi-Fi calling for the majority of your use.
Badge +4
jRLowey wrote:

Robert T wrote:

Would you know if Koodo offers a vacation disconnect allowing a client to retain his number? If so, would you know the details of this?

This is what Koodo offers. The options posted above may be better for you.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keeping-your-account-open-when-travelling
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Something to consider: The option I suggested above will forward texts and enable calling /receiving on mobile networks as well as wifi without the expense of a VPN. VoIP providers all support some Android or iPhone app to enable wifi calling at rates cheaper than mobile. Your choice to use that when in wifi range, or use mobile when in the wild.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would check some US carriers. Alot of them have plans for Canada and Mexico, the only problem may be that you're wouldnt be using in the US enough. Something to look into at least.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan M wrote:

I would check some US carriers. Alot of them have plans for Canada and Mexico, the only problem may be that you're wouldnt be using in the US enough. Something to look into at least.

You would probably need a US credit card + social sec number to pass credit check and minimum 50% use in the US for those plans to be feasible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi JR!

If reserving your Canadian phone number is important to you, the easy option that we can offer, as Mats suggested, is the Seasonal Hold rate plan which you can keep for 6 months at a time,

This rate plan at $15 a month allows you to keep your phone number when you come back from Mexico each year. However, you can''t keep your original plan and would need to choose a new plan when coming back to Canada.

Here's more info on that:
http://koo.do/2s22PXv

Hope this helps 🙂