Koodo Community
Solved

Pixel 5 / Tab Plus / keep existing plan?

• 22 November 2020
  • 7 replies

I am an existing Quebec customer (Bring Your Own Device) with a $45/month plan.  I’m trying to purchase a Pixel 5 while keeping my existing plan.  I go through the whole checkout process, clicking “Keep my current plan” along the way and everything seems fine.  When I get to the final step, I get an error message that says “Whoops! Something went wrong. The price plan is not valid”

Should I be able to keep my plan?  I’m currently getting 8Gb of data, while the official plans right now for the same price are only 4Gb.

Edited to add: tried with $120 down + Tab Mid and it still gave the same error mesage.

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 23 November 2020, 18:40

Yes,  'in market plan’ means that  you have to switch to one of the currently advertised plans... 

Tab medium and Plus requires $45 minimum. But, they require you to switch your plan if you have a BYOD plan( even if it's more than required minimum price)  and want to use Tab to upgrade. 

And you are correct about earbuds.  

If Fido giving you some perks as new customer, then it's a option.

If you like Koodo, I would contact them through FB and ask them if they can do anything for you. ( Like give up BYOD plan, but add some free data add-on or something)

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You said you are an existing Quebec customer.   Do your phone number have a QC area code?

If you have a BYOD plan, then you need to switch your plan to one of in market plan if you want to use Tab to upgrade your phone. 
QC $45 including 5GB.  And $50 gives you 8GB ( including bonus data)

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I’m in Quebec with a Quebec area code phone number.  I’ve upgraded the plan a few times over the past two years when there were deals or special offers to get more data, always with a fully-Quebec plan as far as I know.   (Edited to add: and yes I am currently BYOD)

When you say 'in market plan’ do you mean that I have to switch to one of the currently advertised plans in order to purchase a phone?  I would essentially be downgrading the plan (8Gb → 5GB for $45) to get the Pixel 5 deal… or paying an extra $5 / month (8Gb for $50, up from 8Gb for $45) to get the Pixel 5 deal.  And if I understand the term “new activation” correctly, I won’t get the free earbuds since I’m an existing customer.  

Makes we want to go to Fido where I can also get 5Gb for $45 / month, Pixel 5 for $20 per month, AND they’re offering me 2 x $100 bill credit since I’d be a new customer.   But I like Koodo!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes,  'in market plan’ means that  you have to switch to one of the currently advertised plans... 

Tab medium and Plus requires $45 minimum. But, they require you to switch your plan if you have a BYOD plan( even if it's more than required minimum price)  and want to use Tab to upgrade. 

And you are correct about earbuds.  

If Fido giving you some perks as new customer, then it's a option.

If you like Koodo, I would contact them through FB and ask them if they can do anything for you. ( Like give up BYOD plan, but add some free data add-on or something)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Mayumi: thank you for the clarification, that's very helpful.  I'll try to reach out as you suggested.

Dennis: thanks for the link! It seems that my plan should be eligible "in most cases" so I'll try and get through to a Koodo rep somehow to ask.

This is a software oversight from the engineering teams. Someone dropped the ball. Apparently customer service can fix this.

I suspect you're right. Unfortunately when I finally got a callback from a rep, they told me it was likely because they were out of stock on the pixel 5 and my best bet was to go into a Koodo store and buy the phone that way.  I thanked him for his time and said goodbye... 

When I reached someone via Facebook they said it was because my plan was a migrated public mobile account (not true, I was never with them) and that I needed to pick a new plan. They offered a 2Gb bonus so I could have gotten 7Gb for $45 but I was annoyed by this point and decided to go with the $45 Fido plan instead. I rarely go over 5Gb anyway and they offered a $200 bill credit as a new client. Sorry Koodo, I tried!