Koodo Community

Community

Picture messaging WITHOUT data

Koodo, can you please make picture messaging possible without a data plan. I recently switched to a new plan which supposedly had picture messaging only to find out later that a data plan is required

37 replies

Koodo can't do this. Reason being is because that is how the HSPA is set up. Picture files are measured in KB(kilobytes) which requires a data connection to be sent. So it's basically a limitation of the HSPA network and that is out of Koodo's hands. Maybe future network technologies would be able to change this but as for right now, data is required for MMS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unfortunately this is a restriction of the technology and not controllable by koodo. However I wish there was an app to create a toggle for internet data and MMS data
I'm sure a compromise could be made for those who do not subscribe to a data plan so that they could use picture messaging. A small amount of bandwidth could be provided to each customer every month so the service would work. Why even list picture messaging as a Koodo service when you need to pay for another service to use it. I could just as easily use Facebook messaging, snapchat, Skype, or any other online messaging app
Couldn't the APN be set to only be set up for just MMS and have the normal data connection disabled?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AlexiKrov wrote:

Couldn't the APN be set to only be set up for just MMS and have the normal data connection disabled?

Yes this is a possibility depending on the phone. However this is an inconvenience if you have a small data plan. I currently do this with my iPhone, but I had to jailbreak it before I could do it. Then it takes turning off data, changing the APN, then re-enabling data. Very tedious. There totally should be an app for MMS data and internet data control
Userlevel 4
If you have unlimited messaging (text and picture) you will not be bill any data when sending pictures
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

If you have unlimited messaging (text and picture) you will not be bill any data when sending pic...

Unless other apps use data in the background.
Userlevel 1
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

If you have unlimited messaging (text and picture) you will not be bill any data when sending pic...

Picture messaging does not need Data plan to be added, except for BB 8530, it only needs to turn Data services on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

You seem a bit confused, MatB. Picture messaging doesnt't work at all on an 8530, and any other bb before bb10 requires a bb data plan to use picture messaging.
Userlevel 1
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

What I wanted to say is that BB 8530 does not support MMS and other phones can send/receive MMS even if customer is not subscribed to Data Plan, but he has to turn his DATA services on, if he uses internet that will be of course at his expense, kind of PPU.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

actually if you google 8530's they are equipped withh mms capabilities....depending on the provider you are with..Koodo has it disabled!! 😞
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

This thread is 7 months old. no need to comment on it anymore...
Userlevel 7
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Also, lori, the 8530 is a CDMA phone. You just cant mms on them. It's not Koodo preventing you, it's the technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

There are many cdma phones which are quite capable of picture messaging. The problems with mms on the 8530 boil down to the fact that it's a cdma BLACKBERRY. All of which is kind of moot now anyway, since the 8530 is discontinued and only available as residual stock.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

well first...Tyler, excuse the heck out of me for posting on what i thought was a community forum designed to share with fellow koodo members, i realize the thread is 7 months old and had i had this phone or koodo at that time i may have posted then but since i just started using this phone and koodo and discovered this issue a couple of days ago, i didn't realize i wasn't permitted to post in a topic that concerns me atm to all others who offered advice (thank you by the way): i have been googling this issue for a few days now to see if it could be resolved and found in a few places most notably the Blackberry site itself, where they list the Curve 8530 as being MMS capable but that some providers do not support it for some models....there are many posts on BB's forums of people who own 8530's and MMS frequently both sending and receiving...there are a few that can't at all...then there are some who with one carrier, could, and with another later, could not...i am not trying to be difficult nor argumentative, i am simply trying to understand the whys of things! Timo you are right, they are archaic but being on a budget i had to use what i had (was a donation from a friend) tho over the last couple days with it i have decided to sweettalk my son into helping out his "Mudder" and scrounge together enough to upgrade to at least a 9320!! (yes big jump i know eh LOL)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Get the Moto G it's only $150 which could be free on a small tab and it's a millions times better than any legacy BlackBerry device and you'll be able to send mms no problem what so ever.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Wow...talk about an overreaction...
Userlevel 2
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Well, that escalated quickly.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

That's not true. I turned my data off on my phone and I thought I was using wifi to send and receive pictures. Not true, I was being charged to use data and I have picture messaging unlimited in my plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

If you turn data off and are still able to use picture messaging then [i][b] data is not turned off!
http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2
YES! I know that picture messaging USED to be possible without data but sadly, now there is no such thing. This is unnecessary and an inconvenience!
Shay-Lynn Smith wrote:

YES! I know that picture messaging USED to be possible without data but sadly, now there is no ...

Honestly, sending MMS over Data is much more convenient if you ask me. It's quite a bit faster to send over this method than the old (REALLY old) way. Efficiency is key in future tech, and this is simply that. There are ways to ensure only the picture being sent is done so over Data (Have Wifi and data connected at the same time, turn off background updating on apps, etc). I like to compare this whole thing to how Internet over your phone has evolved since I had a cell phone in college (14 years ago). Simple text based browsing and downloading wallpapers/ringtones used to cost a LOT for just a few MegaBytes...now we get decent (relatively) data plans that can help cover what we need in our phones. But in all seriousness, if you're getting a smartphone, you should be getting a plan with data included, otherwise you really don't need a smartphone.
Userlevel 7
Shay-Lynn Smith wrote:

YES! I know that picture messaging USED to be possible without data but sadly, now there is no ...

If I could star a comment, I would. A smartphone without data is like fries without ketchup or a burger without cheese... it's just not the same.
Userlevel 4
Shay-Lynn Smith wrote:

Depends where the burger and fries come from 😛