Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Picture messaging add-on, but am I charged data for it?

Picture messaging requires data to be enabled, but if I have no data on my phone. I use my home WiFi and if I enable data to send a picture message, will it charge me for data usage?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
That depends. If you have unlimited text and picture messaging (you probably do) Koodo won't charge you for the data usage required to send a picture. [b][i]BUT if your phone uses Koodo's cellular data for other functions (like Facebook updates, for example) you will start to accumulate charges. Your wifi connection is not guaranteed and your phone will take the path of least resistance to use the internet. Only enabling data to send picture messages while being connected to wifi at the same time will certainly [i]minimize the risk of additional charges. You can also turn off automatic updates for your applications to further reduce the risk. But to be able to avoid charges entirely, you'd have to turn it off and leave it off.
Curtules wrote:

That depends. If you have unlimited text and picture messaging (you probably do) Koodo won't char...

Ah, I see, thank you! I found it odd that I had the feature, but if only WiFi was on, picture messages wouldn't send. I'll have to make sure no other applications open when I enable data then to send pictures. It didn't seem like the charge was much for data if there's a slip up here and there, though it is a bit of a bother that no charges can't be guaranteed.
Userlevel 1
Curtules wrote:

That depends. If you have unlimited text and picture messaging (you probably do) Koodo won't char...

I thought it was possible to set up your APN settings so that MMS (picture messaging) will work but all other data is disabled?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curtules wrote:

Depends on the phone. A lot of them default back to the original APN.
Curtules wrote:

Do you know if the Moto G has one and where I could find it? There's an option to restrict data usage, but I don't know if that's the same thing.