Koodo Community

Community

Pick Your Weekend

Userlevel 6
(This might be a little beyond the realm of possibility but I'll post it anyway.) At this point, all the plans Koodo is offering include unlimited evenings and weekends starting a 5 PM. Having unlimited calls from 5 PM Friday to 8 AM Monday is pretty sweet, but not everyone gets Saturday and Sunday off so it's mostly a waste for those of use who work the weekend. I'd suggest the ability to choose which two days of the week are completely free via Self Serve (changable once a month to prevent cheating) so that everyone whose "weekend" is Monday and Tuesday, for example, can take advantage of unlimited calling too.

23 replies

That would be awesome. I quite like it but I dont think it is practical. Since phone usage is less common on weekends and the evening hours, there network can handle the traffic that it takes in.
Userlevel 2
The idea is nice, but it's impracticable. It would require a lot of programming and it would throw off the entire billing system. This is no different than asking for holidays to have free airtime.
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

The idea is nice, but it's impracticable. It would require a lot of programming and it would thro...

Yeah, didn't think so. I just had a customer asking about this and I decided to post the suggestion.
Userlevel 5
Myke wrote:

The idea is nice, but it's impracticable. It would require a lot of programming and it would thro...

Same response. Would be nice but it would be too much of a hassle for Koodo imo.
Userlevel 3
I agree witht he above post. This would create nothing but billing issues. A lot of programing which means $$$.
What a joke. Billing issues? Don't give excuses for things you don't understand this isn't that difficult to implement. It's not a lot of programming where costs are through the roof... And have you ever heard of favorite numbers? When have you seen a billing issue there? Exactly. If this is such a huge hurdle to implement then the whole system is horribly coded and should be rewritten anyways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ashton Bannister wrote:

What a joke. Billing issues? Don't give excuses for things you don't understand this isn't that d...

How long have you been writing the code for Koodo's billing systems? Take your own advice and don't talk about things you don't understand.
Ashton Bannister wrote:

What a joke. Billing issues? Don't give excuses for things you don't understand this isn't that d...

Then it's horribly written. The developers should be fired. But its probably not because you most likely have zero background in anything related.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ashton Bannister wrote:

Not that it matters, but I spent 5 years doing embedded programming before spending the past 4 years doing tech support. What matters here is you standing on your soap box telling other people not to make assumptions about koodo's billing systems while you proceed to make assumptions about koodo's billing systems.
Ashton Bannister wrote:

Ooh tech support and "embedded" programming, quite the resume related to coding databases POS/billing systems. Oh wait, nevermind. And yes, if it's severely difficult or time consuming to implement a "choose your own weekend" option then Telus' billing system is horribly coded and should be rewritten. Tech support is a laughable credibility item to throw on the table, let alone embedded programming. So you know how to edit a script? Congratulations! I hear the geek squad is hiring, you should check it out.
Userlevel 6
Ashton Bannister wrote:

I just thought that this would be a nice idea. I didn't think it would be that easy to implement to begin with. (Hence my disclaimer in parentheses.) But I thought if there was even a chance it could be done it was worth posting. The thing is, flame wars like this one are how ideas get closed. Perfectly good ideas are ignored by other community members because they don't want to feed the fire and if the flames get bad enough the community admins step in to close the thread. So, both of you, can we keep this discussion civil? Please?
Userlevel 7
Ashton Bannister wrote:

Ashton, your behaviour was completely uncalled for and goes against the rules of this community. I suggest you be a little more civil, as Curtules suggested to avoid being banned. Furthermore, I highly suggest you take a look at the community rules located on the front page to the right.
Userlevel 2
Ashton Bannister wrote:

Hey Ashton, if you feel you can do a better job, submit a resume and apply to become a code programmer for Telus 🙂.
Ashton Bannister wrote:

I'm sure the developers are skilled enough to do it themselves and it would be quite the drop in my career if I did. It annoys me when people discredit a good idea and have given nonsense excuses that its not feasible when it is.
Userlevel 2
Ashton Bannister wrote:

Believe what you want. It's clear that you are in no position to be open minded.
Userlevel 6
Ashton Bannister wrote:

[i]" [...] and it would be quite the drop in my career [...] " Just.... wow.... 😞
Userlevel 1
Honestly, I like this idea. Yes, we would need to rewrite some code, but why the hell shouldn't we? Just sitting on our hands and saying, "oh it's too much work" is not an excuse to disregard an interesting idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem feasible because the focus of all the technicians at the phone companies is troubleshooting and existing network expansion.
Userlevel 7
Mo D. wrote:

Honestly, I like this idea. Yes, we would need to rewrite some code, but why the hell shouldn't w...

It's not about what is possible, it's about what is reaonable and practical; love that your post shows that 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mo D. wrote:

Honestly, I like this idea. Yes, we would need to rewrite some code, but why the hell shouldn't w...

But it may be possible to work this into future back-end software. It may not be feasible to re-write the code now, but the current software will be obsolete someday and then it may not be such a bad idea to do this.
Userlevel 5
I'm in favor of this as well but can see other potential problems. Obviously you wouldn't be able to change this often, but a lot of people who work weekends don't get regular days, or even consecutive days off. Even if Koodo allows people to pick a "weekend" for these people it'd largely be useless as their "weekend" would change week by week.
Userlevel 6
Jorden wrote:

I'm in favor of this as well but can see other potential problems. Obviously you wouldn't be abl...

Oh God, I know! My old job used to give me entirely random days off each week. I sometimes had to work from Tuesday one week to Thursday the following week, with shifts from 5 PM to 1 AM one day and 9 AM to 5 PM the following day. I owe my life to my wife for getting me to quit that job. I guess there's really no way to account for people in with that type of schedule. But that's less an issue with Koodo and more a failing on employment policies in Canada.
Userlevel 2
Jorden wrote:

I'm in favor of this as well but can see other potential problems. Obviously you wouldn't be abl...

Don't get me wrong, the idea is nice and I would love to see it implemented, but it's just not feasable currently.
Userlevel 1
Fido back when it was owned and operated by Microcell used to allow you to pick a day of the week for unlimited calling, and Koodo's parent company, offered free birthday calling to plans older than 2012, which was inherited when they bought Clearnet, so the idea isn't really new and already coded in the system, and has been since 2000 (so some 13 odd years?). http://about.telus.com/community/english/news_centre/news_releases/blog/2000/01/01/clearnet-announces-launch-of-pcs-service-providing-national-coverage It's up to Koodo to offer this, and not really a technology or billing issue, but rather up to the marketing department to decide if its worth it.