Koodo Community
Question

Per Second Billing

• 8 March 2013
  • 9 replies

Why did you get rid of your per-second billing and switch over to the standard minute fare?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Hi Simon - To include Call Display & Voicemail. There needed to be balance between what they added and what they took away. The plans now provide sufficient minutes as well there is an unlimited airtime plan should you do a lot of daytime calling.
Userlevel 6
I prefer gaining what they added even if it means losing per-second billing which was never a big deal for me.
Userlevel 6
The Canadian market was shifting towards per-minute billing because we already had the worst cellphone plans in the developed world, but it wasn't enough. Per-second was great, so that's why it was taken away. Fido did the same. Always remember we're in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Honestly, I prefer CID and VM over per-second billing, but I realize that not everyone is the same.
Userlevel 2
Honestly, I prefer CID and VM over per-second billing, but I realize that not everyone is the same.I agree
Userlevel 1
The land line carriers sure don't offer it. If I make a long distance call and it goes to voice mail and I decide not to leave a message and hang up they still bill me for a full minute for that call that was connected only 2 or 3 seconds. Please take no offence but it seems no matter how great a deal Koodo offers, people always want more or better. After recently doing a thorough comparison and switching to Koodo it seems they have about the best value right now.
Userlevel 6
Of course Koodo provides us the best value, no arguing there. The problem is the value itself on Canadian soil. Just because we get the "best" of something doesn't mean it's comparatively good, it just means the other options are even worse. As the world becomes more and more global, it's saddening that we limit our comparisons with other Canadian carriers. The whole picture paints a way darker picture of what we're offered Canada-wide. But yes, Koodo does offer the least sucky cellphone plans in this country.
Userlevel 1
Of course Koodo provides us the best value, no arguing there. The problem is the value itself on...Yes I agree "Canada" has the worst and most expensive cellular service. In fact OpenMedia just published a report to that effect: http://openmedia.ca/upgradecanada which makes an interesting read. That said given that many people will agree Koodo is the best we can get (and that is how they got me as a customer, best value) lets not forget that they are a for profit company and there is just no business case for them to do better when they are already the best. In simpler terms, if I am already selling gasoline at a lower price than anyone else why do I still want to lower my price and make less money? In my part of the country, Koodo (which is really a Telus "brand name") has no facilities so they buy service from Bell and then sell it to me for way less than Bell charges me as an individual for service. Bell doesn't give them access to those towers for free so they do have certain costs in providing me service and their profit margin is probably pretty small. Of course Bell has the best coverage in this area also (Rogers unlike in many other places barely works at all around here) so I get the best network available in my area for a lower price than I can get from the guys that own it. I'm happy with that. I'm not happy that we as Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world for cellular service.
Userlevel 6
Of course Koodo provides us the best value, no arguing there. The problem is the value itself on...Fully agreed Steve. My point was that taking out perks like per-second billing really was nothing more than an attempt to force people onto per-minute plans as they made them look more appealing by adding CID and VM. Some will say you can keep your plan and all that, but few people read the fine print like we do here (I mean the regular forum members). Carriers that offered per-second could very well have added CID and VM as well without moving on to per-minute. Been at the grocery store lately? Pick up a box of Jos Louis cakes. It still sells for the same price as a couple years ago and it still holds 6 cakes. It's a good value seeing that the cost of living went up, but not Jos Louis' pricing, right? Nope! While we were busy making sure the price stayed the same and we got 6 cakes, they made the whole box weight go from 410g down to 324g. That's a 21% decrease in our perceived "value" without us ever noticing. When Koodo took out per-second billing, they basically made calls cost as much as 60X what they cost before. I know I know, 60X, nobody makes 60 calls at 1 second each and you're right, but the math adds up. Anyway, we all agree Koodo is the best we have right now, and I'm as grateful for it as the next guy. It's the current state of the whole Canadian market that is really sad though.