Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Pay as you go text while in the US

Anyone familiar with the $5/100 pay as you go texts to the US? I was speaking with a rep 2 weeks ago that told me about it and the current rep can't find anything in the system

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Wendy, Unfortunately the $5/100 texts is only available for postpaid plans... and it's automatic for them. Prepaid does not have coverage in the US at all I'm afraid 😞
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

Hi Wendy, Unfortunately the $5/100 texts is only available for postpaid plans... and it's auto...

If someone needed to use their phone when they were in the states and they were using prepaid, could they not unlock their device and use it that way? Just a thought. Not saying it's always ideal, but I'd imagine that is an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Wendy, Unfortunately the $5/100 texts is only available for postpaid plans... and it's auto...

Oh absolutely Daniel, I unlocked my Moto G for that purpose (it is only $2.50 to unlock now) and I have at least 4 alternative SIM cards for travels to Europe, the US and the rest haha!
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

If I travel to the destinations other than US, how much will Koodo charge for incoming texts?
Userlevel 4
Sophia wrote:

If you travel to another country and use a SIM card for a carrier in that country, your texts will not be handled by Koodo, but through that country's Carrier. For example, when I go to the US, I use a t-mobile sim card and use their Pay by the day $3 plan. When I am using this t-mobile SIM card, T-Mobile handles everythign and I pay them. Nothing goes through Koodo. How much the local carrier charges depends on the carrier. When I'm on t-mobile, international texts are pretty costly, so I usually use iMessages on my iPhone to contact my family who all use iPhones, thus avoiding international text rates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Papaxiong, incoming texts are now free while roaming to any country.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

So I've read here on the community. But all the documents that I've found only say the new rates are for the U.S. and still quote the old $0.60/SMS (incoming and outgoing) rates for all other countries. I'll have to investigate further. It's a mystery it is.
Userlevel 6
In case you're wondering about the new US roaming rates for postpaid customers: http://help.koodomobile.com/portals/0/images/travel-img1.png http://help.koodomobile.com/portals/0/images/travel-img2.png These are effective today. Source: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling
This plan sucks. Living in a border city as i do when i go over and send one txt home it will now cost me $5?wtf this is bs in my opinion. What happened to the 0.75ea? I will never use $5 worth on a single day visit to the US. BRING BACK THE OLD PAY PER USE RATES.
Userlevel 7
Jim Nitz wrote:

This plan sucks. Living in a border city as i do when i go over and send one txt home it will now...

Hi Jim,

I know it may seem like a lot considering the amount for one text message when you go to the United States, but keep in mind with the old rate was $0.60 per message outgoing and incoming. This way you're not getting charged for the incoming messages and you have the option to send a message out. Unfortunately Koodo put the new roaming rates in effect to help people save money in some cases. Unless people don't feel this as being helpful they will keep it that way for the time being.
Jim Nitz wrote:

This plan sucks. Living in a border city as i do when i go over and send one txt home it will now...

This is just another reason to show how Koodo is going down hill. Where they make you buy 100 of something when you only need 1 to start their USA roaming packages, your already paying $30+ for the add on and now they are going to charge you an extra $5 and piss off their customers. Why don't you count the text to start a roaming package or just charge it $0.60 only for starting roaming packages. I'm definitely going to look at other providers after I finish my tab.
Userlevel 7
Jim Nitz wrote:

Jason, if you already have the add on, there are no additional charges for sending a text. The 5$ applies to those who choose to send messages without a roaming addon in place and it last for 100 sent text for the entire billing cycle. So there is an advantage there.

Under the old schedule every text would cost 60¢ without an addon. You'd be past 5$ in no time. Now that incoming texts are free and outgoing texts are 5$/100 it's way less expensive.
Jim Nitz wrote:

What I mean is I'm in the usa and I text the code to start the roam add on and now the text I sent to start the roam add on use to be $0.60 for just that one but now I got charged $5 for that 1 text even though after that first text I have payed for unlimited in the add on. You get me, it's such a scam
Userlevel 7
Jim Nitz wrote:

Sending a text to Koodo is also free.
Jim Nitz wrote:

Not on my bill and not from the Koodo csr I talked to about and explained it to for 25 minutes
Userlevel 7
Jim Nitz wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are, gimmie some time to confirm with our liason. I'll post again soon
Jim Nitz wrote:

He talked to his manager and then said this time we will take the $5 charge off your bill but only because you are a long time customer
Jim Nitz wrote:

Thank you Chad
Userlevel 7
Jim Nitz wrote:

Jason. I just spoke with our liason and she said I'm correct. Texting Koodo from the us IS free.