Koodo Community

Community

Question

On a monthly plan, when abroad, would messages be received for free?

If I have a monthly plan but no add-ons, would I receive messages for free when abroad?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, receiving text is free.

I also answered your question here.
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/receiving-text-messages-on-usa-without-roaming-add-on

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you'll be outside of Canada and the US, however, you do need to make sure you have the free "international voice roaming" add on provisioned on your account. Without it, your phone won't receive messages since it won't connect to the network.
Thanks - I assume if I do not wish to use the voice service, I could leave the phone on and just not answer any calls.  Or would going into voice mail box trigger a call charge?

I am thinking of setting up EasyRoam for when I really need it but turn off Data Roaming on my phone. I want to be able to receive texts but not get into the $10/day charge except when I consciously decide to do it. Nothing worse than stumbling into paying for a service inadvertently!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
YL H. wrote:

Thanks - I assume if I do not wish to use the voice service, I could leave the phone on and just ...

It only triggers when you make or answer a call, send a text, or use your data. If you don't pick up the phone, no charge.