Koodo Community

Community

Offer perks to EXISTING customers. ($100 prepaid bonus to new customers only?)

Userlevel 1
Offer perks to EXISTING customers. ($100 prepaid bonus to new customers only?) one person said "Offering special promos to attract new customers is a legit business practice. [But] [...] that being said, never offering something like that to existing customers is a bad idea in my opinion. To me, this sends a message that once you're a customer, you're far less important than a potential customer." - Philosoraptor (username) I wish sometimes I would have waited a year to switch to Koodo... because if I had waited, I could have got the $100 bonus per-paid card. I was very disappointed. just because I'm an existing customer, if I get a new phone I can't have it? I'm already a loyal customer... I shouldn't have to be a new customer to be able to get cool new offers.

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Original thread for reference: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/offer_perks_to_existing_customers_100_prepaid_bonus_to_new_customers_only-10nr76 🙂
Userlevel 1
I'm with Koodo since it started, I seen many promos for new customers and some for old customers, I know that any company policy is based on customers satisfaction but customers will always tell you that they are not satisfied
Out of all the providers i've been with, koodo has left me feeling the most appreciated. One time I used way more airtime than usual and i called to up my plan. They told me they could switch my plan, I would pay the same per month but i would have more minutes. Holy Shit! Getting more for less! It's a concept! Totally happy with koodo.
Loyalties should come with good perks.... promo should NEVER be just for new customers.... Do you know how damn frustrating it is for a loyal customer to find out that new customers are getting better deals at lower cost than you do just because they are new while those who've been paying faithfully for months and years are still stuck paying a higher price... It blows.... Cost me 70 per month.... internet not worth crap on my phone, which I was suppose to have for free and chose base on the suggestion of the salesperson... big disappointment, ended up paying full price for a phone that is not worth crap on the internet... and I find the monthly cost to be way way too much... but the salesperson at the koodo store was useless when it came to propose adequate monthly package... Yep... you guessed it... I am NOT an happy customer....
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I used to be with Telus for my cellular services and Bell for my landline for a very long time. That practice made me quit both, and I have never looked back. At times they call me and ask that I reconsider them. They try to offer me some deals, but even with that, they pale in comparison to what I get and pay for now. In short, it is an ill-advised business strategy. It is build on the premise that "...we have them in the pockets and therefore no point spending on them." They then cross their fingers, and hope that the customer does not get educated. I got some news for them; the customer is smarter than they give them credit. There is a saying in my culture that goes; "when the ignorant becomes enlightened, the enlightened is in trouble". So, way to go stupid business minders...you will lose eventually.
Userlevel 7
J. K. Kopp wrote:

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I used to be with Telus for my cellular services and Bell for m...

Just remember to look at the dates of threads when commenting on them 🙂 This thread is over 8 months old and 'bumping' old threads (commenting so that the thread reaches top of newest threads) is a no-no in the community.
J. K. Kopp wrote:

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I used to be with Telus for my cellular services and Bell for m...

Well thanks, good point. Having said that, has anything changed with these service providers? If the answer is no, then well, why wouldn't we comment on it. The point is, if the same attitude persists, it really does not matter when the comment was made. It just means that the customer is still the recipient of the raw end of the stick. Ain't it?
Userlevel 1
J. K. Kopp wrote:

Agreed Kopp. We still want it, and I'm sure others do as well. He commented because he agrees. If that's a problem, then we aren't in a democratic country
Userlevel 7
This has been brought up many times before, and I still only kind of agree. I think there should be a bigger incentive to upgrade than what is currently offered - maybe not the same.gift card offer, but at least a Tab credit, bill credit, etc.

The problem with offering it on new activations *and* upgrades is there is a significant amount of expense the carrier (any, not just Koodo) would have to take on just to ensure continued revenue vs. attracting new customers, which is additional income they wouldn't have had otherwise. The same tactic is used with banks and grocery stores with whatever "points" programs they advertise ie. "Sign up for X Mastercard today and get 50,000 points!" or whatever the promotion is. They come and go all the time. It's the nature of sales.

The other issue is abuse and possible churning. There might be a way to regulate it, but Tab redemptions don't do a credit check and adding a line is also easier to do (or the customer is already pre-approved for) than performing a new credit assessment with another carrier. So a customer could theoretically do an upgrade to a free phone with.gift cards, resell the phone for profit/help pay off any negative Tab, then add lines to the account, do redemptions on those lines to get additional.gift cards/reselling... or they could just walk away with their "free" phone, unlock it, and leave Koodo altogether and get the exact same plan with Virgin (barring 7AM ending E/W unlimited times and voicemail 3 instead of 10) with 10% off and no contract. Then they could do it all over again and flip back if there's another.gift card offer. It's a bigger risk the carrier takes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

This has been brought up many times before, and I still only kind of agree. I think there should ...

Simple: limit the.gift card eligibility to once per year.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

This has been brought up many times before, and I still only kind of agree. I think there should ...

People will still complain about that but that's a potential solution. Or I think it should be a bill credit to the customer after the account remains paid on time for let's say the following 2 cycles would be a better idea since it would prevent more churn.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

yeah. I've had my phone (the same one) with them for about 2 years, and my tab is almost gone... I wish I would have got my phone when that promotion started but I didn't. Now, after 2 years I need a new phone, so I'm looking at other companies as well, seeing what they have to offer me, because there really isn't any incentive to keep me with koodo
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

even if they offered something every other year to existing customers, like a discount on a new phone, even if they did it every 3 years.
Userlevel 3
Jonathan I wrote:

Amber the bill you pay for monthly has Koodo delivered the services you payed for?Have you had any issues with the network or your phone not working? You shouldn't have to stay with Koodo for the perks for being loayl for to stay because of the awesome customer service and the services you are paying for. Like any bill do you call your hydro company for discounts on your bill?Or when you fill up a gas tank regularly at a specific station...Is there incentive for you to pay any bill?
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

yeah, but with hydro we have to just pay because there is no competition. I go to gas stations that have loyalty rewards, or the cheapest prices.
Userlevel 3
As a customer you pay your monthly bill for cell phone services. Like any customer, if Koodo is providing you with the service you are paying why is there an issue?You shouldn't stay with the company for the perks but for the service you are paying. Do you ask your hydro company for a discount?Do you ask for discounts if you pay gas bill?Like any bill you shouldn't have to expect perks if any company is delivering the services you're paying for.
Userlevel 4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

As a customer you pay your monthly bill for cell phone services. Like any customer, if Koodo is p...

What I find funny is that the majority of people who are wanting loyalty rewards were given new activation rewards when they signed up...
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

As a customer you pay your monthly bill for cell phone services. Like any customer, if Koodo is p...

I agree and even if Koodo gave something to Loyal customers it wouldn't ever be enough. It's like feeding a dog table food. The dog will put it's heads on your lap sitting next to you waiting for more food. Lol
Userlevel 1
Rocky Balboa wrote:

How can you ask for a discount from your hydro or gas company when there is no competition? Koodo has a lot of competition so keeping their customers should be as important as getting new ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Excellent point, gerrydee.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Thank you gerry dee exactly. Cell phone service is a competitive market. They should be trying a bit harder to keep customers from leaving and going elsewhere. I still think that Koodo is better than other providers i've been with SO FAR. I'm going to sign up with them again when my cell phone is kaput.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Hence again Gerry why Koodo periodically comes out with promo plans to keep up with the competition. Koodo will base it's base plan on competition.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I been a customer for my local provider for 10+ years and NEVER asked for any perks. I pay my bill monthly and they provide me with the service I'm paying for without any issues. I personally, don't believe in asking for anything unless there's an issue regarding billing or the phone itself.
Userlevel 1
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I've been a loyal Koodo customer since they have been in business. Someone who has never paid a dime to them comes along and gets $100. discount for signing up but if I need a new phone I have to pay full price. Therefore I have a lot of cash invested in this company while he has none but he gets the reward? Just not fair.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Depending on your tenure and payment history Koodo might give you a break on your next upgrade. It wouldn't hurt to call in and ask.