Koodo Community

Community

Notify & block usage when I've surpassed my usage limit

When I reach 100% of my data limit, I EXPECT to be notified that I'm not incurring overage charges. It's not fair that I don't receive any notification at 100% or even 99%. This is unfair and clearly it's done on purpose to take advantage of customers.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Actually there are notifications sent out at 75% and then again at 90 or 95%. I think you might have them disabled. Log into Self Serve and check. I don't remember under which Tab it's on at the moment. The only issue you'll run into is there's a delay from when the text is sent and the actual usage occurs; so sometimes you might still go over but that's the nature of the beast that is an automated billing system.
I do have notifications set but I think the real issue is delay from when I actually exceed my limit from 95% to 101%. This recently happened to me and I was charged and extra $5.00 for using a few MB. There should certainly be a limit or block to cut my usage off once the limit is exceeded. This would be hugely beneficial for families to help manage their children's usage without getting overcharged for the services that they pay for.
Userlevel 6
Eric Puigmarti wrote:

I do have notifications set but I think the real issue is delay from when I actually exceed my li...

Yeah, they don't have real time rating yet, but get from 95% to 100% one would normally have to do some heavy duty data use, (video etc.) to reach it that quickly.
Userlevel 3
Eric Puigmarti wrote:

I do have notifications set but I think the real issue is delay from when I actually exceed my li...

also to note, you weren't technically charged 5$ for the few MB, you were charged 5$ to give access to another chunk of data, depending on your plan that could be anywhere from 50MB- 500MB
Userlevel 7
Although I have a 6GB plan and usually use about 2GB of it so I generally don't worry about it, I still share your sentiments. I used to work for The Mobile Shop selling all the carriers, including Koodo, and more recently they got their own postpaid sub-brand of Telus with PC Mobile (they've had prepaid for years under Bell). There is an option for customers to cutoff data when it hits their plan cap. Then the user gets a text message stating that the account holder needs to approve overage stacks or refuse it and only allow access again once the new cycle starts. The same thing can be done for minutes, but the best part is the phone still works in your unlimited evenings/weekends window! Or you just get an unlimited minutes plan. It was like a hybrid system; all the benefits of getting subsidized devices with postpaid plans but the advantage of not "going over" with prepaid. It was an AWESOME postpaid feature exclusive to the brand and I loved selling it. I really, really want Koodo to get this too since it's obviously possible to do.
Userlevel 3
It is also possible to track your own data usage in real time using the system built into your device or downloading a app. What kind of phone are you using? While not something I would use I do agree that giving the customer the option to block data once the limit is meet would be a good idea,
Yes block the internet usage when i reach the limit of the usage of the data plan
Userlevel 6
It makes sense to me too, actually. If the overages are really supposed to be deterrent fees to keep people from surpassing their subscription and tying up the service for customers who pay for more (which is what all the major carriers maintain as the reason for the fees) wouldn't it make more sense to make the ability to even go beyond the plan be optional? If they can do it for $50 worth of overage, surely they can do the same for reaching the limit on the plan itself. That said, it's still better to keep track of the usage yourself on Self Serve and the usage graph in your phone. Your usage is your own responsibility, afterall.
I totally agree that tracking your own usage with the Koodo app or Self-serve is a customers own responsibility. I just find it a little dark that customers don't get a clear indication or notification mid-activity when they are currently over their limit. The slow response time with notifications is misleading and not a reliable form of alerting customers. I've received a text when I've surpassed 95% of my data when really I've already used 120% of my data plan. These methods aren't always reliable when their not real-time.
Userlevel 6
Eric Puigmarti wrote:

I totally agree that tracking your own usage with the Koodo app or Self-serve is a customers own ...

Someone said at one of their stores that they are working on this and may have it before the end of the year.