Koodo Community

Community

Solved

NFC enabled SIM card?

Hi, I'm trying to use mobile payments, but one requirement is that I need to have a NFC sim card. How do I get one?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo does not have them yet. So far it's only the big 3 and Virgin. I think as demand/usage increases, they will start adding them. To be honest, I have only seen 1 person use their phone to pay for stuff in my life history of shopping at places that have tap'n'pay. Most people know now that credit cards at all major banks support it but most aren't aware that the same technology is available in phones. It hasn't quite caught on yet.
Well my bank said to be on either Bell, Rogers, Virgin or Telus and Koodo is essentially the Telus network? Why no NFC enabled SIM?
Userlevel 7
Scott Taylor wrote:

Well my bank said to be on either Bell, Rogers, Virgin or Telus and Koodo is essentially the Telu...

Couldn't tell ya. It's just not available yet. I guess most people who choose Koodo aren't as concerned with mobile payments and just want cheaper cell service compared to the other people who take Robellus and need something more. It's just a waiting game for now.
Scott Taylor wrote:

Well my bank said to be on either Bell, Rogers, Virgin or Telus and Koodo is essentially the Telu...

For me my [b]micro SD from koodo supports NFC payment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Scott Taylor wrote:

Yes Logan Koodo SIM cards are now NFC SIM Cards, this is an old post (over 6 months old now) from before they offered them. Also you mean Micro SIM not Micro SD Card
Scott Taylor wrote:

Yes sorry I didn't mean SIM not SD
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What's the difference between a NFC SIM Card and using the NFC that's already built into most phones now?
Userlevel 7
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

What's the difference between a NFC SIM Card and using the NFC that's already built into most pho...

NFC sim card is needed for NFC based payments. You can't do NFC payments without an NFC sim card, regardless if your phone has NFC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What's the difference between a NFC SIM Card and using the NFC that's already built into most pho...

Oh Ok I've never looked into it Thanks. Just looked into it quick and I guess you have to have a phone with NFC and also use a NFC SIM Card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/nfc-enabled-zoom-card-available

Wait smart watches can pay using contact less payment without a sim?
Userlevel 7
Scott Taylor wrote:

Wait smart watches can pay using contact less payment without a sim?

No they can't