Koodo Community
Solved

new SIM, old phone, transfer number from Telus

Userlevel 1

My new phone arrived today! (very speedy service). It came with a SIM card that I don’t need. However, I’m giving my old phone (iphone 6S) to my husband and we would like to transfer his number from Telus to Koodo.

1. Does he need to set up a Koodo account or can I do this for him through my account?
  2. Can we use the SIM I just got in today’s mail?
  3. If not, do we order a SIM first and then get back to Koodo to transfer the Telus number? (I checked his number and it’s okay for Koodo)

Thanks! Tracie

icon

Best answer by Dennis 30 July 2020, 00:40

1. you can do it both ways.  If you want both lines on 1 account, you can add a new line to your account.  Or your husband can sign up on his own.
  2. No.  Since it will be a new line, Koodo will need to send you a sim that will be pre-activated based on when it will arrive.
  3. Just order the new line.  When you get the new line and sim, you can login to self serve and port the number over.  Do not do it prior to the sim arriving or you may be stuck with a ported number on a sim that has not arrived yet (as couriers can easily be delayed to lose packages)
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. you can do it both ways.  If you want both lines on 1 account, you can add a new line to your account.  Or your husband can sign up on his own.
  2. No.  Since it will be a new line, Koodo will need to send you a sim that will be pre-activated based on when it will arrive.
  3. Just order the new line.  When you get the new line and sim, you can login to self serve and port the number over.  Do not do it prior to the sim arriving or you may be stuck with a ported number on a sim that has not arrived yet (as couriers can easily be delayed to lose packages)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And make sure to use the “Refer a friend” program before your husband sign up 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/refer-friend?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=Refer%20a%20friend

Userlevel 1

Thank you! I’ve ordered a SIM card and a plan and will ask to have the Telus number moved after the sim arrives. I’m grateful to this community for all help. Tracie

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you! I’ve ordered a SIM card and a plan and will ask to have the Telus number moved after the sim arrives. I’m grateful to this community for all help. Tracie

No need to ask.  You can just port the number on your own in your self serve. when you are ready

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-phone-number

Userlevel 1

So, the new sim card arrived and we are now trying to port the number on the new sim to an existing number with Telus. However, I keep getting an oops, something went wrong.

The Telus account lists two phone numbers as one is for the phone and the other is a sim for an ipad. I only want to change the phone number. Is this something that Koodo needs to sort out for me? I’ve tried doing it myself on a desktop computer, a tablet and a phone and keep getting the same ….oops message.

Also of note but maybe not relevant -- I’ve added my husband’s service to my account so there are two lines now when I log in to Koodo. Would this matter?

Some Koodo assistance would be most welcomed. Thanks, Tracie

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

"The Telus account lists two phone numbers as one is for the phone and the other is a sim for an ipad. "

I just want to make sure...  This Telus account us still active, correct?

Can you check if there is a port protection on Telus number?

And dding husband under your account is no effect on porting process.

Userlevel 1

Yes, the Telus account is still active. I have no idea how to check if there is port protection on the Telus number. How would I do that?

The Telus number is ancient...and is on a flip phone. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, the Telus account is still active. I have no idea how to check if there is port protection on the Telus number. How would I do that?

The Telus number is ancient...and is on a flip phone. :-)

Ok. If Telus account is still active and something is preventing porting, I would set up call back. Tell them you get error message on different devices. They will help you to check what's going on.

Or, you can contact Koodo through Facebook.  Either way, you tell them you tried porting through self serve, but you couldn't.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Call Koodo/Telus number porting team. These guys are not CSR's. They don't judge you. They only care about one thing, and that's moving numbers. I have 2numbers to reach them (844) 232-7678, (877) 868-3587.

Userlevel 1

Thank you….got things sorted finally so all is well.