Koodo Community

New Phone, New Phone Number Needed.

• 10 July 2020
  • 6 replies

I’m gifting my son his first cell. I have purchased a non Koodo refurb, unlocked (first gen iphone se). I’m adding him to my account with a plan, and I know i need a sim but how do i get a phone number? I can’t seem to find an answer to this, only how to port numbers. 
I’m trying to do this online to save $40,  I’ve added the sim and selected a plan, and am at the “Permissions”  in the checkout. I’m assuming that I should select “Someone with authority has to make purchases on the account” , meaning if my son over runs the data, he can’t top it up? And can’t access any other add ons without my permission?  Correct? 

Under the help for this it reads:

“For numbers without authority, they''ll need to contact somebody with authority to make any changes by logging into Self Serve. Tip: avoid providing Self Serve access to numbers without authority.”

But how do i get a new number for this phone I’m gifting my son, over which he will have no authority? :)
Is that step to follow? Is that the “Add Line” at the bottom? Nothing happens when I click on it.

What i’m trying to achieve - an unlocked BYOD that needs a new phone number, a sim, and a new plan on my account. The new phone number is unclear in this process.

Thanx in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well you the account holder will just get it. Just go ahead with new everything and no phone and you'll open the line. You would then as the account holder be the one authorized to handle adding data overage and such.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you received a SIM from Koodo, there is a temporary number. If you like it you can keep it. If you want to port your number in, then you can do it too. Make sure you keep the account from old provider since they need an active account to port.

And don't forget use their 'Refer a Friend program's before you add line😉

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/refer-friend?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=Refer%20a%20friend

Thanx Goran and Mayumi.

I didn’t know there was a temp number attached to the sim (and there is nothing to port - it’s a  first time phone owner scenario).  Curious if there are options to change the temp number to something else if I don’t like it? (it’s just a phone number, so whatever, but i’m curious if that is an option through Koodo)

I don’t want the plan to kick in until next months billing cycle. So I can order everything, but don’t activate it until then…...I’m assuming?

I can Refer a Friend even though it’s another plan under my account?

:v:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“if there are options to change the temp number to something else if I don’t like it? “

- Yes. Once you set up a new line (after receiving your new SIM), log into self serve and you can port his number in.  Do not cancel his number/account  until porting is complete.

” I can order everything, but don’t activate it until then”

- I don’t know your billing cycle. But if you order a new SIM/line now, then they will activate SIM/line when they ship it.  So new plan will be kicks in as soon as your order was processed. 

And, Yes, you can refer yourself to add a line under your account.  Click a link  I attached, and click “Rules”. There are many detailed info/FAQ there😊

Userlevel 6

Hi Mayumi, Dave said “ (and there is nothing to port - it’s a  first time phone owner scenario).”  So if he doesn’t like the temp number then he can go to self-serve and select any available number, right. I think that is what Dave is asking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Mayumi, Dave said “ (and there is nothing to port - it’s a  first time phone owner scenario).”  So if he doesn’t like the temp number then he can go to self-serve and select any available number, right. I think that is what Dave is asking.

Yes. You are correct 😁

He can keep his temporary number, or he can change his number from available number through self serve.  Or he can port number in if he has one.

Thank you Fred, pointed out this😊   I did misread again😅 Now he got right answer 😃👍❤️