Koodo Community
Question

New features of plans?

• 14 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I originally had a Koodo prepaid plan that cost me $15/month and allowed me unlimited texting but required me to buy any phone minutes via boosters. I was very happy with that plan since I don’t make a lot of voice calls and the booster minutes roll over indefinitely. I encouraged my brother to get the same plan for his phone; he likes this plan too. During COVID, my phone died and I couldn’t afford the $15/month for a dead phone so I let my account lapse and disappear. Now that I’m working again, I replaced my phone and asked for the same plan again. There is one big difference between the new plan and the old one: the new plan gives me unlimited texting in Canada for $15/month PLUS 100 free phone minutes. I don’t expect I’ll need those minutes very often but it’s nice that they are included for free.

Now, my question: since this plan seems to have an important new feature at no extra cost, does my brother now have the 100 free minutes in his account automatically or does he have to do something in order to get the 100 free minutes?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

He would have to change his plan to have access to the new features. Just login to the account and change it!

And do it towards the end of the 30 days so that you make the most of your money.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, Allan. That sounds easy enough. I’ll have him give that a try and post again if there’s any problem.

Userlevel 5

There is one big difference between the new plan and the old one: the new plan gives me unlimited texting in Canada for $15/month PLUS 100 free phone minutes. I don’t expect I’ll need those minutes very often but it’s nice that they are included for free.

Some other “features” of that plan are that incoming calls are unlimited, so if you are creative with your texts and calls, you can ask people to call you “when they have a moment” :wink:  Also calls to toll-free numbers don’t consume the 100 minutes.

Also, you may want to compare against the other Telus brand Public Mobile (Telus owns Koodo & Public Mobile) which uses the same network but also offers a $2 auto pay discount (so $13/mo) and expands the unlimited SMS/MMS to International as well. Minutes and data boosters also don’t expire until fully consumed, not monthly. Other rewards include friend referals for $1/mo each, and $1/mo off each year you stay on up to $5, meaning eventually with no additional work that plan would be $8/mo. Both Koodo and Public Mobile’s $15 plan’s offer 250MB of data which is nice to have in a pinch to use conservatively.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Nezgar, I wasn’t aware of any of that. I will give that some thought.