Koodo Community

Community

Question

Moving my number to second line without closing first line so that i could pay for both my self and my parents

I am currently on low cost plan with promotion that is not available anymore, and since my parent don't have a cell phone i though i should set them them with that plan while i open a second line for my self and pay for both lines, that way I am able to reach my parents even if they have power outage at their place.

Is it possible for me to add a new line to my account, transfer my phone number from my old line to the new one and assign a new phone number the to old line for my parents without closing down old line?

I will pay for both line on my account.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
What promo plan do you currently have on your account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
While koodo allows you to keep grandfathered plans, you cannot give your plan to someone else while keeping your number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your parents have a landline, it will continue to work during a power outage. They just need a corded phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your parents don't have a cell phone now, then their usage might be very low.

If you add a line under your name, minimum plan start from $30/mo for 500 min.  Do you think they need that much minutes? 
Koodo have prepaid plan start from $15 and you can add a Talk booster which is $25 for 500 min. You don't have to buy a booster every month, you need to buy it once you used up your minutes - any left over minutes carry over to next month if you renew your plan.

So, you can't give your plan to your parents as Timo said, open a prepaid for them can be another option.
It's all depends on their usage tho.

Here is an info for Prepaid:
https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans
my plan is 35$ 1gig that you guys have available, but with 10% discount, so its 31.50 + tax. And my parents do need data to use hydro Quebec outage app.

This was why i wanted to add a new line, i switch my # over to it, and then on my old line get a new # for my parents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zan DB wrote:

my plan is 35$ 1gig that you guys have available, but with 10% discount, so its 31.50 + tax. And ...

As the $35 is in market, there is not much benefit if you give that plan to your parent and open a new line for yourself. The total price will just be 31.5+35. It is the same price with keeping the 31.5 yourself and open a new line for your parent.

If you transfer that line to your parent, you will have to pay $10 transfer fee on top of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zan DB wrote:

my plan is 35$ 1gig that you guys have available, but with 10% discount, so its 31.50 + tax. And ...

@ Zan
Still,  you can't swap the number between them - You can't have old plan with new number and new plan with your old number.
Zan DB wrote:

so the 10% promo, i either keep it or loose it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zan DB wrote:

why not you keep your plan with 10% and number, and add new plan with new number for your parents?
If you pay for both as an account owner, then it's not much different...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zan DB wrote:

Wait, is it the 10% automatic top up deal? If so then yes, you can re-arrange everything to do what you want since you're just choosing a bunch of in-market stuff but like Mayumi said, if you're paying for both there shouldn't be much of a difference.
Zan DB wrote:

its not the automatic top up, is just a special discount that i have. 

Even though i will be paying for both right now, in the event that they would like to add a travel addon, I would like it to be specific on that line.

From my understanding it seems not possible, is it due to technicality? Policy? Something else?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zan DB wrote:

What kind of "10% discount" is it? 
You got it under your line/number, that's why you can't just give it to someone else.

Do you think you can get same deal for your parents?  I can't tell since I don't know what condition you got to get "10% discount"
Zan DB wrote:

I actually called koodo today, and i was told nothing can be done. Hopefully there will be some promotional plans on boxing day.