Koodo Community

Community

Long distances calling

Is there any why Koodo can get better rates for long distance calling? I have a girl friend in the Philippines it is very difficult to call the Philippines. Presently I buy Pinoy Calling cards this is a hit or miss thing weather it will work or you get your time. They claim to be $0.11 per min. but I have used a lot of cards and this is not always the truth. I have made calls direct from my Koodo phone but this can end with a billing for hundreds of dollars, while the Pinoy cards are $5.00 each it is easy when the card is done it just does work any more. Maybe there is some why Koodo can work with the Globe network to secure a better rate and fewer hooks up fees. Koodo is at present $015 per min. to the Philippines if it was at 11 or even 12 cents I could do away with constantly buying calling cards. Thanks Ernie Wedgewood

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
With Koodo, you can add the Long Distance Saver add-on ($2/month), and then your rate to the Philippines will be $0.15/minute: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/long-distance That's about as good of a rate as you can expect. You can also try Startec, a company that I've used in the past but now Koodo offers me better rates: http://www.startec.com/ca/
Userlevel 3
Ivan wrote:

With Koodo, you can add the Long Distance Saver add-on ($2/month), and then your rate to the Phil...

The LD saver is now at $3 a month. You'd also have to pay the long distance rate of $0.15 a minute.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

With Koodo, you can add the Long Distance Saver add-on ($2/month), and then your rate to the Phil...

I like that my existing add-on didn't change in price, but I see that it's now $3/month if I want to add it on the other line.
wrong information
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ravanrose wrote:

wrong information

Care to elaborate?
Userlevel 4
ravanrose wrote:

wrong information

No
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ravanrose wrote:

wrong information

lol
Thanks you so much for all your feed back. I have the LD saver on because I live in Canada but work for an American company. It’s not too bad at $0.15 per min but I do tend to rack up 900 to 1000 mins. So it still adds up. Like Ivan said that is about as good a rate as there will be. I have looked at Startec as well but didn’t find any savings there. I guess it is what it is if I want to talk to my girl friend it’s a hundred bucks a month. Ernie
Userlevel 3
Ernie Wedgewood wrote:

Thanks you so much for all your feed back. I have the LD saver on because I live in Canada but wo...

That's love brother! Happy Valentines day!
Userlevel 7
You can also try using a VoIP service? Skype, Viber... BBM for iOS and Android also just got updated to support free calls over WiFi or use your data plan. There's lots of options available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

You can also try using a VoIP service? Skype, Viber... BBM for iOS and Android also just got upda...

The caveat there being that the other person has to be available to use that service. From personal experience, a lot of people overseas do not have regular mobile data access and may not be near WiFi at that given time.
Jonathan I wrote:

You can also try using a VoIP service? Skype, Viber... BBM for iOS and Android also just got upda...

yes Ivan that is correct Wi Fi and data packages are very much out of reach to the Philippines. You have to buy a Sims card and than buy a load for the phone. The smallest load with texting international is 35 Peso for 24 hrs. or 100 text.