Koodo Community

Latest prepaid promotion - get 3gb data booster on plans of 45 dollars or more

Koodo’s promotion is very deceptive. They use the word activate but don’t mention it’s for new phones. I was already on prepaid and they often use the word activate when making offers to switch me to postpaid.
Anyways I fell for it and upgraded to a 45 plan. No booster showed up on my account and got lengthy argument from rep that it’s for new phones only. The words new or phone are never mentioned in the promo or terms. After getting a a supervisor he offered to credit the difference in my previous plan so I could purchase a. 1 gb booster at regular price.
I am 3 year customer with both prepaid and postpaid accounts. Also referred several family members but ready to leave now when my data runs out. Will switch to a competitor

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can you show us a screen shot of this promo offer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"Offer can be redeemed in select stores or online. To redeem the offer in store, you must activate in either a Koodo Shop, Koodo Authorized Dealer, Walmart or WoW Mobile Boutique. Upon activating in store or online, the Booster add-on will be applied to your account within 72 hours."

Its for new prepaid customers. If a customer activates a prepaid account with a $45+ plan then they will get the 3GB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think they are using the word "new phone" anywhere, including other competitor. The word "activate/activation" are normally used. You would get a new SIM with it, and you can use it on any phone (old/new).
I would suggest you switch back to your previous plans, if that was your choice. You could also check publicmobile. $45 would get you 6GB (at 3G speed) at publicmobile. It is on the same network of Koodo.
It didn’t say a new phone had to be activated. I understood I was activating a new plan as it’s the term they used when offering to switch me to postpaid.
Allan M wrote:

"Offer can be redeemed in select stores or online. To redeem the offer in store, you must activate in either a Koodo Shop, Koodo Authorized Dealer, Walmart or WoW Mobile Boutique. Upon activating in store or online, the Booster add-on will be applied to your account within 72 hours."

Its for new prepaid customers. If a customer activates a prepaid account with a $45+ plan then they will get the 3GB.

It would have been helpful if they had stated it the way you just did. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jekyll2010 wrote:

It didn’t say a new phone had to be activated. I understood I was activating a new plan as it’s the term they used when offering to switch me to postpaid.

No, if you are already a customer, when you switch to another plan in prepaid, they call it "change plan/switch plan".

When you switch to postpaid from prepaid, you created a new account in postpaid system. That was an activation of a postpaid plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's the standard mobile legaleze: activate means new account.

A cell phone jailhouse lawyer would have told you that you could port your number out somewhere in a timely manner, thus closing you existing account and losing any residual balance of $$$, minutes or data. You would then be free as a bird to sign up for whatever new plan you want, and ultimately port your number back in.

But you would be facing the cost of a new SIM, loss of old boosters balances, etc. Probably not worth the effort.

If you twisted my arm to make a comment, it would be that customer service costs lots of money, so it may not be worth it if everyone adopts similar standards. So the providers are all resigned to the idea of losing a similar proportion of customers due to service issues. The only way to get the net subscriber numbers up is to entice new "activations" that will show up nicely on the balance sheet.