Koodo Community
Question

Koodo Wrongfully Charges AB 911 Fee on the Tablet Plan

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 4
I know Koodo has been looking into it (the problem that is, know nothing about your account). It's a weird problem for sure and wrong on every level. Not sure what's taking so long to sort this, have you contacted the CRTC yet?
If I submit a complaint now, that would make Koodo Rep's "investigation" easier. It would be easier to find a specific account by looking at the complaints instead of all the customers. I assume some Mobile Masters are impatiently waiting for Koodo Rep to find my account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I just looked at the conversation about the problem in the Mobile Master group and apparently the $0.53 fee was applied to a recently (about a week ago) activated tablet account, so assuming that account wasn't the one you complained about, it's probably something that hasn't been sorted then.

That said you know I don't speak for Koodo, and I have no idea what is being done behind the scenes in the week since that conversation in the group. All I wanted to say is that your bug report was taken seriously :)

Speaking for myself, the problem seems rather simple. If you are charged a 911 fee, you should be able to call 911. If you cannot call 911, you should not be charged that fee. Fairly straightforward, no?
Userlevel 4
I noticed my previously deleted comment was restored after I called Koodo Rep out on it. So now Koodo Rep archives/deletes/ignores posts that make Koodo look bad, does not acknowledge Koodo's errors openly, but instead wastes resources for weeks to "investigate" a customer's account. 😏

With all the changes Koodo has been making recently (banning upgrades, increasing prices, pro-rating data, etc.), it seems they are now trying to be the least customer friendly provider. Apparently they are also considering increasing the upgrade period from 90 days to 180 days.
Userlevel 4
1 month ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So, again, Tablets can't call 911.

What's Koodo Rep been doing for the past 4 weeks instead of fixing this issue? Checking each Koodo customer one by one to figure out if it's me? 😅

You are wrong. Tablets, technically, can (have the possibility to) call 911. According to that, they are legally allowed to charge the tax. Nobody cares if you have a voice plan or not. You can, therefore you shall pay.
Userlevel 4
You are wrong. Tablets, technically, can (have the possibility to) call 911. According to that, they are legally allowed to charge the tax. Nobody cares if you have a voice plan or not. You can, therefore you shall pay.
Which tablet are you talking about? Probably an Android where you have to sideload some telephone apk or something to make a native voice call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are wrong. Tablets, technically, can (have the possibility to) call 911. According to that, they are legally allowed to charge the tax. Nobody cares if you have a voice plan or not. You can, therefore you shall pay.Which tablet are you talking about? Probably an Android where you have to sideload some telephone apk or something to make a native voice call.

it doesn't matter if you have a phone app or not. Does the table have cell reception? Yes it does. Therefore, can it theoretically make calls? Yes. Can you use SKype to make calls? Yes. An iPad connected to a phone, can make calls.
Userlevel 4
it doesn't matter if you have a phone app or not. Does the table have cell reception? Yes it does. Therefore, can it theoretically make calls? Yes. Can you use SKype to make calls? Yes. An iPad connected to a phone, can make calls.
Nice logic. Do phones contain lithium-ion batteries? Are lithium-ion batteries flammable? Yes, they are. Therefore, can phones theoretically catch on fire? Yes. So they should all be banned from airplanes.

Skype = VoIP. As far as the wireless carrier is concerned, it is not a 911 call, it is data.

iPad connected to a phone = the call is being made on the phone, and iPad is merely functioning as a bluetooth device. Should Koodo charge a 911 fee for your bluetooth headphones if you make calls with them connected to your phone?

Leaving all of that aside, it is Koodo against Bell, Fido, Rogers, TELUS, Virgin Mobile, and we all know which one has the most bugs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

it doesn't matter if you have a phone app or not. Does the table have cell reception? Yes it does. Therefore, can it theoretically make calls? Yes. Can you use SKype to make calls? Yes. An iPad connected to a phone, can make calls.Nice logic. Do phones contain lithium-ion batteries? Are lithium-ion batteries flammable? Yes, they are. Therefore, can phones theoretically catch on fire? Yes. So they should all be banned from airplanes. That's why there's an exception for phones in planes. Fun fact, the Note 7 was indeed banned from airplanes because of that particular reason. So I see the phones as an exception to the rule.

Skype = VoIP. As far as the wireless carrier is concerned, it is not a 911 call, it is data. Where does it mention anything about data? We are talking about the capability of making a 911 phone call.

iPad connected to a phone = the call is being made on the phone, and iPad is merely functioning as a bluetooth device. Should Koodo charge a 911 fee for your bluetooth headphones if you make calls with them connected to your phone? AFAIK, Koodo doesn't sell plans for bluetooth devices? So Why you're saying here doesn't make sens.

Leaving all of that aside, it is Koodo against Bell, Fido, Rogers, TELUS, Virgin Mobile, and we all know which one has the most bugs. Freedom?
We can continue if you want 😃
Userlevel 4
I guess you want them to write the law as if they're explaining it to a 5 year old. Anyone with some common sense would understand that they mean native 911 calls, not 911 calls using some third party app. If you want them to explain to you exactly what they mean by 911 calls, here is the link: https://www.alberta.ca/contact.cfm

I had already cancelled my line anyway. With some of the most expensive wireless plans in the world, all the bugs, delayed features, nonsense policies, and "don't contact us" attitude are starting to become more annoying than amusing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The beauty of the law is that unless it's written to a 5 year old, anybody can interpret it as he wants! Whatever was the reason behind the writing of the law. That's why there's so many people going to court 😉

With some of the most expensive wireless plans in the world, all the bugs, delayed features, nonsense policies, and "don't contact us" attitude are starting to become more annoying than amusing.
Are you moving outside of Canada in order to get better plans? Afaik, all the companies offer the same plans, don't they?
Userlevel 4
Afaik, all the companies offer the same plans, don't they?
It doesn't end well when I compare Koodo with other Canadian providers. 😅 Koodo Rep in Charge is around here, eager to use the delete button. Read the post you quoted to understand the difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Afaik, all the companies offer the same plans, don't they?It doesn't end well when I compare Koodo with other Canadian providers. 😅 Koodo Rep in Charge is around here, eager to use the delete button. Read the post you quoted to understand the difference.

I hope you're going to be happy with the other carrier you're going to. Best of luck 😃