Koodo Community
Question

Koodo Wrongfully Charges AB 911 Fee on the Tablet Plan

Userlevel 5

Tablets can't call 911!

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/e07p5.pdf
“wireless device” means a wireless device that is assigned a telephone number with an Alberta area code and is capable of being used to access 911 services, and includes any other devices prescribed in the regulations;

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have flagged a rep to help you with the error on your bill
Userlevel 5
I have flagged a rep to help you with the error on your bill
They probably need to fix the whole system, not just my bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have flagged a rep to help you with the error on your billThey probably need to fix the whole system, not just my bill.

WIll need to find out if it is happening to everyone
Userlevel 3
Hello there! I would love to check the bill and help you out. It's just that I was not able to track the account with the email address you are using here, on the community. Can you send us a Private Message on our Facebook page? Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Hello there! I would love to check the bill and help you out. It's just that I was not able to track the account with the email address you are using here, on the community. Can you send us a Private Message on our Facebook page? Thanks.
I post here so that people are aware of this and Koodo can maybe fix their system without a complaint to the CCTS or the CRTC, not for personal help.

If this has been happening to everyone, will Koodo own up and refund all those customers for all the extra fees they paid, just like they asked their customers to pay for that Tab billing issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Alexandra_Koodo can you check a random Alberta tablet plan customer to see if this happening to others or just a one off?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can text on the tablet, I assume you can call if you download an app to help you out.
There are payperuse rates for both calling and texting with the tablet. As well tablet plans are assigned phone numbers.
Userlevel 5
You can text on the tablet, I assume you can call if you download an app to help you out.
There are payperuse rates for both calling and texting with the tablet. As well tablet plans are assigned phone numbers.

Tablets are not meant to make calls. Also, if this was correct, it would mean that the flanker brand Koodo knows the law better than their parent company TELUS Corporation. 🤔
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tablets are not meant to make calls. Also, if this was correct, it would mean that the flanker brand Koodo knows the law better than their parent company TELUS Corporation. 🤔
Fair points, still a possibility though I suppose. It would helpful to have someone look at your account to diagnose it though and see if it's a one time thing but I get there will be no luck doing that.
Userlevel 5
Koodo Rep in Charge @Bernard Koodo isn't around to defend Koodo OR own up to it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@triggered123 An investigation is under way to check your account.
Userlevel 5
If it didn't happen to anyone else, 😅
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it didn't happen to anyone else, 😅
I haven't seen anyone else post about it
Userlevel 5

If it didn't happen to anyone else, 😅I haven't seen anyone else post about it

There are a few possible reasons for that: Koodo doesn’t have many (AB) tablet customers in the first place; and/or those few customers don’t even check their bills for extra charges since Koodo eliminated hidden fees and bill shocks; or they think the fee is legitimate since it says Government Fee and they’re already paying for it on their cellphone plans.
Userlevel 4
To be fair, tablet plans are assigned a phone number and, while I don't know about all tablets, I have seen some with the ability to place outgoing calls.

A acquaintance of mine had a surprise bill because her son used the tablet for pay-per-use outgoing calls.

Since the Koodo tablet lines (like the wireless home phone) count as a cellphone lines The 911 fee would then make sense, not just for Alberta, but for any province being billed the 911 fee.

But those are just my speculations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To be fair, tablet plans are assigned a phone number and, while I don't know about all tablets, I have seen some with the ability to place outgoing calls.

A acquaintance of mine had a surprise bill because her son used the tablet for pay-per-use outgoing calls.

Since the Koodo tablet lines (like the wireless home phone) count as a cellphone lines The 911 fee would then make sense, not just for Alberta, but for any province being billed the 911 fee.

But those are just my speculations.

Yea that's what I was saying. There are pay per use rates for calling and texting which would lead me to assume it is possible to make calls which would make the 911 fee make sense.
Userlevel 5
@triggered123 An investigation is under way to check your account.

Userlevel 5
I can't even reply under my own thread without getting it deleted. 😂
Userlevel 5
So should I start the complaint process or will Koodo Rep stop deleting posts and give an update if it's affecting anyone else?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@triggered123 Hmmmm.....what has been deleted? And the complaint process is indeed open to everyone. It's in the best interest for all carriers to resolve it though.
Userlevel 5
@triggered123 Hmmmm.....what has been deleted? And the complaint process is indeed open to everyone. It's in the best interest for all carriers to resolve it though.
You delete comments without reading them? 😒

So instead of owning up to Koodo's error, what you are saying is that Koodo is correct to charge the fee on Tablet plans and ROBELUS are all wrong and they need to fix it? That's the result of your "investigation"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@triggered123 Investigation into your account continues.
Userlevel 5
@triggered123 Investigation into your account continues.
Avoiding questions like politicians too. The main question that needs answering in this thread is the fee, not my account.
Userlevel 5

So, again, Tablets can't call 911.

What's Koodo Rep been doing for the past 4 weeks instead of fixing this issue? Checking each Koodo customer one by one to figure out if it's me? 😅
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I know Koodo has been looking into it (the problem that is, know nothing about your account). It's a weird problem for sure and wrong on every level. Not sure what's taking so long to sort this, have you contacted the CRTC yet?