Koodo Community
Solved

Koodo, why do i need to have a driver's license to change my phone plan????

This was a couple of years back, but the time is coming for me to upgrade my phone again so I thought I would ask this question here (since there is no emailing customer service either, how convenient).

I live in British Columbia and I have been a koodo customer for at least four years now, in case that's needed for context.

Last time I went in to upgrade my iPhone I was not able to do so because my driver's license has expired and that was for some reason the only acceptable form of ID?
I had been a koodo customer for at least a year at that time and I was only going in to get a phone with more storage. The guy at the kiosk literally turned me away despite me having an in-date BC healthcare card as my primary form of ID and already being a customer with koodo? I could almost understand this if I was trying to open a new account but that was not the case.
He said something about their system only being able to accept the number from the driver's license?
This did not and still does not make any sense to me.
I still do not drive, and I don't have that form of ID.
I have a BC photo ID/Healthcare card, why are these not acceptable forms of ID?
This system needs to be updated desperately if that's still the current situation because this makes it so much harder for people who do not drive to update their plans at all! how stupid!

I want to know if this has been changed or not before i waste time going to a kiosk.
I should not have to renew a form of ID I never use because koodo is unaware of all the other forms of ID that exist.
icon

Best answer by Allan M 10 June 2019, 18:30

It seems they tried to do a credit card on the OP of some sort. The OP mentioned "He said something about their system only being able to accept the number from the driver's license". So they are trying to use the number of the card, not just ID identification.
It's a little all over the place. In the end though, BC services card with a photo is okay. As well you will need the secondary ID
If you're activating outside of BC you'll also need proof of address to accompany the Services card.
View original

13 replies

Also why do you not offer older models of Iphones with storage larger than 32gb???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi
Here is their list of ID acceptable for credit check/ID at Koodo https://www.koodomobile.com/help/credit-check-requirements

The Healthcare card is a sensitive one, as some privacy law/regulations prohibit companies to record the number/ID for other purpose (the card is used solely for healthcare services).

Regarding the choice of lower storage, it might be the local store stock issue, you can check if you can order something better through their web-store. Note that, they don't sell all models of iPhone like Apple does. You could also visit retail store like Bestbuy, walmart, wowmobile... to see if they have the models that you want.
hi
Here is their list of ID acceptable for credit check/ID at Koodo https://www.koodomobile.com/help/credit-check-requirements

The Healthcare card is a sensitive one, as some privacy law/regulations prohibit companies to record the number/ID for other purpose (the card is used solely for healthcare services).

Regarding the choice of lower storage, it might be the local store stock issue, you can check if you can order something better through their web-store. Note that, they don't sell all models of iPhone like Apple does. You could also visit retail store like Bestbuy, walmart, wowmobile... to see if they have the models that you want.

This is good thanks but I'm not a new customer and I wasn't at the time that this happened either
Userlevel 5
Not in BC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is good thanks but I'm not a new customer and I wasn't at the time that this happened either
Whenever you update your plan with a phone, they would have to make sure you have proper ID. It applies to all new and existing customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BC Health Cards are an acceptable form of ID for upgrading a phone. Provincial Photo ID's are good as well.

Drivers licenses are the most common and the main one that reps are familiar with so if you get a new rep or one that isnt aware just tell them to ask someone else or to check their system for the list of acceptable ID's and you'll be okay!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also why do you not offer older models of Iphones with storage larger than 32gb???
Maybe there's no more stock?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BC Health Cards are an acceptable form of ID for upgrading a phone. Provincial Photo ID's are good as well.

Drivers licenses are the most common and the main one that reps are familiar with so if you get a new rep or one that isnt aware just tell them to ask someone else or to check their system for the list of acceptable ID's and you'll be okay!

There is no BC health card, they call it "BC service card". There are 3 types of it. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/government-id/bc-services-card/types-of-cards

One type of BC service card doesn't have photo with it. Another is embeded in the driver licence. One sentence to say it is acceptable isn't enough.

The question for the Koodo system is: can they enter customer health card number into their system to check their credit score?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just thinking out loud here. But you do know you can change your phone plan online on your self serve account right? No messing around with people or ID requirements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
He said he was upgrading a phone. In the case if upgrading a phone yes, the card is okay. Didnt realize some of the services cards didnt have a photo so yes it would need to have a photo.
It is acceptable for activating a line and running a credit check as well. If you are trying to do so outside of BC then you'll also need a proof of address and of course the secondary id.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If upgrading a phone, then I would recommend the webstore to save on the hassle and the $35 connection fee for upgrading instore. If you are looking specifically for an iphone, then even ordering directly from Apple online would be better if Koodo doesnt have the higher capacities that you are looking for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
He said he was upgrading a phone. In the case if upgrading a phone yes, the card is okay. Didnt realize some of the services cards didnt have a photo so yes it would need to have a photo.
It is acceptable for activating a line and running a credit check as well. If you are trying to do so outside of BC then you'll also need a proof of address and of course the secondary id.

It seems they tried to do a credit check on the OP of some sort. The OP mentioned "He said something about their system only being able to accept the number from the driver's license". So they are trying to use the number of the card, not just ID identification.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It seems they tried to do a credit card on the OP of some sort. The OP mentioned "He said something about their system only being able to accept the number from the driver's license". So they are trying to use the number of the card, not just ID identification.
It's a little all over the place. In the end though, BC services card with a photo is okay. As well you will need the secondary ID
If you're activating outside of BC you'll also need proof of address to accompany the Services card.