Koodo Community
Question

Koodo Prepaid to Koodo Monthly

Been a Koodo prepaid customer for a couple years and it was good and inexpensive so I signed up for a monthly plan based on being able to keep my old number I’ve had for over a decade.  Went through all the steps to set up my new account on the monthly plan. Now it seems like I am stuck somewhere in the process because my pre-paid account has been de-activated my number has apparently been ported over but I can’t call anyone or send texts my phone just says “not registered on network” when I try to call or text.

When I was porting my number the form said I should expect it would only be two hours to port my number and it’s been 4 days now. Tried to get a call back using the self help bot no reply, used Koodo email form no response. Please someone contact me by email to know what’s going on.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Went through all the steps to set up my new account on the monthly plan. “

- How and when did you sign up monthly plan? Online or at a store?  You received a new SIM and set up email from Koodo?

“because my pre-paid account has been de-activated my number has apparently been ported over”

How long it has been deactivated? More than 90days?

Hi thank you for the reply yes I signed up for monthly service online just before the new year. A new SIM has not showed up. My prepaid account has been de-activated less than a week. If the SIM shows up next week I should be able to keep my old number? I don’t mind waiting I just don’t want to loose my number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You wil need to top up, because you can only port an active account. It's one of the limitations of porting your prepaid number...

My prepaid account has been deactivated i can’t even sign into my account any more. What should i do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Aye, if you haven’t topped up within 90 days of expiry, you lost your number I’m afraid… you will need to sign up with a new number. Of course in that case you can skip the prepaid signup altogether, just go with postpaid immediately.

Edit: can you still dial 611 from your prepaid sim card?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry for the double post. I am reading your messages more carefully now, and it looks like you ported your number over when you signed up, is that correct? In that case, I would contact Koodo asap and ask if something went wrong with the port… we usually suggest that people sign up first and port in their number at a later stage.

Please correct me/us if we got it wrong :) We don’t want you to lose your number either...

I cannot dial 611 with my phone when i try it says “not registered on network”. Before my account was de-activated I did port my phone number to my new post paid account, but I ported the new number before receiving my new SIM card. Please see attached picture this is what it says on my account for my number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You say that “Before my account was de-activated I did port my phone number to my new post paid account,”.

But, if you don’t have a postpaid SIM/account, how did you proceed porting?

Okay here is the timeline

Late December - I decide I’ll go from prepaid Koodo to postpaid Koodo I’ve been calling people more often and I was going through minutes faster than I used to so I wanted unlimited calling minutes. I really wanted to keep my phone number I’ve had for over a decade though so I double check with the “check eligibility to move” web page and it says yes I can keep my old number. I go online and sign up for the new service.

Early January - I receive multiple emails from Koodo, one says I can register for my new postpaid account “self serve” so that is what I did.  Once registered I ported over my phone from Koodo prepaid to my new Koodo postpaid account. I didn’t know I had to wait for a new SIM card to get shipped to me before I ported over my number, I thought I could still use the SIM card I had in my phone and begin using my new service in 2 hours from when I  ported my number (because why else would I receive emails telling me to sign up to to the new post paid account)

It was night so I went to bed and assuming I’d be able to use my new service in the morning. When I wake up the next day my phone stopped being able to send texts or make calls, I try to login to my pre-paid account and it had been de-activated but my new postpaid account was working and this is when I tried to contact Koodo and eventually I found this community forum and was able to get in contact with you guys here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So, if you already received a set up email from Koodo,then they shipped your SIM at same time. It seems some delay by Canada Post/ carrier…

Did you receive the port confirmation text and respond?   If you finished all those process, all you can do is to wait for your postpaid SIM card.  Hopefully it arrive today (Monday).

I'm surprised you didn't need to enter new SIM number to port in. ( I remember I needed it when I ported number in long time ago)

Userlevel 5

Been a Koodo prepaid customer for a couple years and it was good and inexpensive so I signed up for a monthly plan based on being able to keep my old number I’ve had for over a decade.  Went through all the steps to set up my new account on the monthly plan. Now it seems like I am stuck somewhere in the process because my pre-paid account has been de-activated my number has apparently been ported over but I can’t call anyone or send texts my phone just says “not registered on network” when I try to call or text.

When I was porting my number the form said I should expect it would only be two hours to port my number and it’s been 4 days now. Tried to get a call back using the self help bot no reply, used Koodo email form no response. Please someone contact me by email to know what’s going on.

Hello there! I’ve managed to check your account. The phone number has been ported and it’s active on the postpaid SIM card that has been already shipped from our end.  Since the SIM card is shipped already active (with a temporary number) you are able to create a Self Serve account and make several charges, however, if you are looking to transfer a phone number, it’s recommended to wait until you get the SIM https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Alexandra, can you explain that please? First you say that the number has been ported - then you say the SIM has a temporary number. So which is it? Where EXACTLY is @Nickdlc’s former prepaid number now?

Userlevel 5

Alexandra, can you explain that please? First you say that the number has been ported - then you say the SIM has a temporary number. So which is it? Where EXACTLY is @Nickdlc’s former prepaid number now?

Sure thing! The SIM is shipped already active with a system automatically assigned phone number(random phone number). Since the SIM is active the customer receives the profile creation link and he can set up his Self Serve account. Whenever we speak about a phone number transfer we call that automatically assigned phone number a temporary phone number. What happened is that Nick managed to replace the temporary phone number with the prepaid one before he received the SIM card, so Nick's former prepaid number is now active on the postpaid SIM card that he ordered. To avoid this type of situation we advise customers to complete the move (transfer) after they have received the phone/SIM, this info can be found on the “Moving your number to Koodo” page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Perfect, thank you so much! We just didn’t want them to lose their number since they did everything right :smile:

Just got the SIM card in the mail and put it into the phone, works perfectly my old phone number ported! Thank you so much everyone who was involved in the chat. Here is one happy Koodo customer :laughing: Thanks again happy new year, best wishes!