Koodo Community

Koodo is slacking on its loyal customers - $35/month - 5GB, $40/month - 8GB (PROMOTION)

• 20 September 2018
  • 14 replies

This is the message Public Mobile customers get to transfer to Koodo. Being loyal Koodo customers, don't you all think we deserve this promotion? I understand the business aspect of them trying to lure in pre-paid customers to post-paid but as loyal customers, we deserve the promotional plan they offered to Public Mobile customers.

Message that Public Mobile customers received:
Switch to Koodo and get 5GB of data for $35/month OR 8GB of data for $40/month! PLUS $180 in bill credits. Plans include unlimited Canada-wide minutes & unlimited international text. You may be eligible for a $0 phone with the Koodo Tab. Switch online at https://Koo.do/choosekoodo or at your nearest Koodo location and use promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. *Conditions apply

What are your thoughts? I want Koodo to do something about this unfair promotion.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Holy tags batman!

Because everyone and their mama would take it. Koodo doesn't want to take that loss in profit.
The funny thing is that KOODO keeps on offering these promotions to Public Mobile customers. In reality, if they offered this plan to everyone, a lot of people would switch to Koodo from other companies which would actually increase their profits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You're not the first to say such things. You won't be last. You will not move them to do so.
You are right but just like how a lighter can start a fire, a few people can cause great changes!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also not all Public mobile customers got this offer. It was targeted to select customers.
Just like the summer there were some great promos targeted to current customers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The funny thing is that KOODO keeps on offering these promotions to Public Mobile customers. In reality, if they offered this plan to everyone, a lot of people would switch to Koodo from other companies which would actually increase their profits.

@ashutosh06 that's not how it would work. If Telus wants to offer this up to their own undefinedublic Mobile] customers, it doesn't affect or bother Rogers or Bell. But if Koodo (or any of other brands in the big 3 families) were to offer up super-amazing promo deals like this to the general market, the rest would just more or less immediately price-match, or try to one-up and then you get a price way. Price wars are generally good for consumers, but for the big 3 they are bad for their profits.

We saw some of this frenzy late last year with the $60/10 gig plan that I think it was Fido/Rogers started to compete with the Freedom Mobile "big gig" plans (but, you know, with an actual usable network!), but Telus, Koodo, Bell, and Virgin all immediately followed suit. I think Rogers and Fido actually wound up losing that battle (despite starting it) and lost more customers than they gained during that period of time when they all offered up this promo plan. It goes to show how destructive it can be to them when one of them tries to undercut the others.

I'm not saying any of this is how it *should* be, but it is how the wireless industry operates in Canada up until now and into the foreseeable future. Many believe that once Shaw's (FM's) network is more or less on parity with the big 3, their prices will come up to match as well.
Also not all Public mobile customers got this offer. It was targeted to select customers.

Why target these offers to selected customers only? Koodo can clearly afford to give more data for cheaper because I have a lot of the promos they have been offering within the past year.

The funny thing is that KOODO keeps on offering these promotions to Public Mobile customers. In reality, if they offered this plan to everyone, a lot of people would switch to Koodo from other companies which would actually increase their profits.@ashutosh06 that's not how it would work. If Telus wants to offer this up to their own undefinedublic Mobile] customers, it doesn't affect or bother Rogers or Bell. But if Koodo (or any of other brands in the big 3 families) were to offer up super-amazing promo deals like this to the general market, the rest would just more or less immediately price-match, or try to one-up and then you get a price way. Price wars are generally good for consumers, but for the big 3 they are bad for their profits.

We saw some of this frenzy late last year with the $60/10 gig plan that I think it was Fido/Rogers started to compete with the Freedom Mobile "big gig" plans (but, you know, with an actual usable network!), but Telus, Koodo, Bell, and Virgin all immediately followed suit. I think Rogers and Fido actually wound up losing that battle (despite starting it) and lost more customers than they gained during that period of time when they all offered up this promo plan. It goes to show how destructive it can be to them when one of them tries to undercut the others.

I'm not saying any of this is how it *should* be, but it is how the wireless industry operates in Canada up until now and into the foreseeable future. Many believe that once Shaw's (FM's) network is more or less on parity with the big 3, their prices will come up to match as well.

Price Wars are the way to go!!! As consumers, we have to learn to demand more for a lower price tag. Cell phone companies in other countries around the world offer more for less with free roaming sometimes so I definitely think it’s possible.

The government of Canada made a mistake by letting the big companies buy the smaller ones like chatr, mobilicity, public mobile, wind etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The government of Canada made a mistake by letting the big companies buy the smaller ones like chatr, mobilicity, public mobile, wind etc

If the little companies had not been bought by the larger companies, they would simply have folded, leaving those customers to find new service providers.
If the little companies had not been bought by the larger companies, they would simply have folded, leaving those customers to find new service providers

maybe or maybe not... we will never know as they were all bought out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Why target these offers to selected customers only? Koodo can clearly afford to give more data for cheaper because I have a lot of the promos they have been offering within the past year.

It is their business strategy I suppose. We do not know the details of their algorithm of which customers they target so it is hard to say.

And they do not want a price war. A price war is bad for their status quo.

And yes the smaller startups were not doing well financially an would have gone out of business in a few years. The CRTC did not do enough to support the new entrants. And there are no lower risk MVNOs to help make the market competitive. Towers are expensive. A new startup who has to build this infrastructure just cant compete with the established providers

Why target these offers to selected customers only? Koodo can clearly afford to give more data for cheaper because I have seen a lot of the promos they have been offering within the past year.
It is their business strategy I suppose. We do not know the details of their algorithm of which customers they target so it is hard to say.

And they do not want a price war. A price war is bad for their status quo.

And yes the smaller startups were not doing well financially an would have gone out of business in a few years. The CRTC did not do enough to support the new entrants. And there are no lower risk MVNOs to help make the market competitive. Towers are expensive. A new startup who has to build this infrastructure just cant compete with the established providers

These companies have their monopoly. It seems like only the government can inflict real pressure and change.
Is it still available? It was asking some validation code for this. What's that?
Badge +4
Is it still available? It was asking some validation code for this. What's that?
It is a targeted offer to Public Mobile customers and not available to everyone. if you received the offer it would tell you how to claim it and when the offer ends..