Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo financial staff are behaving idiotically

Im a temporary worker in PEI with several credit cards from UK banks. First, I cannot get a contract phone because I don't have Canadian government issued photo ID. Second, I cannot topup my plan online because my credit cards do not have Canadian billing addresses. Just about every other merchant I have ever dealt with in Canada is happy with my Amex or Visa. Koodo, you are losing money here! And making me drive 160 km to the nearest Walmart or Atlantic to buy a top up card! Please fix this idiotic situation.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Buy a prepaid visa or mastercard at a gas station and use that to buy top up online. Tha's what I do and it works perfectly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You should be able to register an international credit card so that it can be used
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

You should be able to register an international credit card so that it can be used

Just to add to this. You register the international card by calling koodo and speaking to a rep. They will help you for free!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cell phone companies are also one of the most frequent targets of international credit card fraud, which is why the security requirements are so much higher than for other retailers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'd like to add one last thought to all the excellent answers already given: the statement that Koodo's STAFF are behaving idiotically is utter nonsense of course... it's not people that perform these checks, it's just a computer program. I know it's only semantics but it might make you feel different about this - it's nothing malicious aimed towards you personally, it's just dumb machines doing impartially what the programmers told them to do 🙂
No, I never thought it malicious or personal, just stupid to have a system that loses money for the company. Computer programs are designed by people and somewhere in Koodo, someone decided that only credit cards with Canadian billing addresses would be accepted online. I appreciate all the replies. I tried calling *611 from my cellphone but there is no option for registering my card. After a bit of searching round the Koodo website I found the customer service number and will call that next time I'm off work in time. Living out in the boonies of PEI makes it difficult to access basic services that folk in towns and cities enjoy, for instance 160km round trip to find a place selling topup cards and similar for prepaid Visa cards. This has not been an issue for me until now because every online merchant I have dealt with in 14 years of visiting Canada has been happy to accept my Visa or Amex cards.