Koodo Community

Koodo and its services

• 21 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Last night was my last straw with Koodo

About 4 months ago my Pixel XL started acting up so I looked into getting a new phone.

I require Wifi Calling in my house due to poor reception in the area so about a month ago I called Koodo about getting an Samsung A70. They said YES that will work for Wifi calling. I did my shopping and asked if they would price match the one being some by Amazon prime they said NO. I asked if I got that phone on amazon if it would work with wifi calling and they said YES. So i bought it
A few days later I call koodo to get Wifi calling enabled and they turned it on and boom.. I had Wifi calling. It worked great for a month until my Wife needed a new phone. I got her the exact same phone and called koodo to get it enabled. They said no that her phone is not compatible and won't work on Koodo. I said yes it will my phone is the exact same phone and it works, and they should compare the two. With in a min I got an email saying Wifi calling had been removed and re added to MY account.. Boom.. WIfi calling no longer works on my phone now. I went through their tech support and they said my phone isn't compatible and there is nothing they can do.

IT WORKED FOR 1 MONTH UNTIL THEY REMOVED IT..

C ya Koodo.. 10 year customer here

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm sorry to hear about that. That's really weird given the list of compatible devices name off a bunch of older phones and ends with "or newer." I cant think of a good reason for the a70 to not be included.
They say that because it was not a purchased Koodo phone it won't work. But it did for 1 month.

I have a case open with CRTC if that will end up doing anything or help future people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is a great example of the problem with things like Wi-Fi calling (also applies to VoLTE and maybe others). It really illustrates both sides of the story really well!

Customer's side:

Hey, I have a phone that definitely supports this feature! I know I didn't buy the phone from you, but your service offers this feature and my phone supports it, so I don't understand why you say it's not supported and won't let me use this. It will make my life better and I had it in mind when I bought the phone and I see other people using this model and it works.

Provider's siide:

Hey thanks for being a customer, we appreciate your loyalty! And congrats on your phone purchase, it's a nice model. If you had bought this phone from us, we would know that it was tested by our quality assurance people, and that the software it ships with should work reliably with this feature on our network. But many other providers and stores offer this phone but it may not have our tweaks for reliability on our network, or worse, might be tuned for someone else's network and not work well with ours. If you have issues with it, you have to call in and tie up our support staff trying to troubleshoot an issue with a phone we didn't sell you. We might be able to resolve it, but this costs us a lot in support and we didn't make any profit off the hardware sales. Or worse, we might spin through a bunch of hours of help and never be able to resolve it, and then you're going to be unhappy and leave us anyway.

Customer's side:

Okay sure, but can't we at least try? I'd really like to use this feature if it works!

Provider's side:

Yeah but we only know for sure it will work well if we sell you the phone. So, uhm, sorry but no.

Customer's side:

Arrrgghhh!

You can definitely see why the providers (at least some) are overly cautious about this. I'd sure wish they'd let us try, with a flat "you're on your own if it doesn't work" caveat. But sadly, this is not the policy here.
I would agree with you to a point.

My issue is that the service on my phone worked for 1 month. When Koodo got wind that it was working they disabled it for me. That is why I am frustrated

I did my planning by calling them ahead of time about the phone.. ASKING many times if it will work.. Then when it worked for a month.

Now I cant return the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@J.Goosse yeah you're right, that is definitely worse. Sorry, I didn't mean to downplay the absurdity of your particular circumstance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Officially, VoWi-Fi calling is supported on Koodo/Telus devices only. However, with Samsung devices you could change CSC code and update the firmware so Wi-Fi calling works as if the devices was from Koodo.

Check your Samsung CSC code (make sure it is KDO). If the CSC code wasn't Koodo, you need to change the CSC code and update your device to the latest firmware. People reported it work with the S9 https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/galaxy-s9-wi-fi-calling-and-volte-7787643

Regarding your case, it was hard to double check, did you initially start the phone with your Koodo SIM in it? Have you changed your SIM to another carrier lately and/or update anything? Was your wife using Koodo or another carrier?

Also, take note that, if you brought your device to another carrier, your VoWi-Fi might not work on those carriers either.
Userlevel 1
They say that because it was not a purchased Koodo phone it won't work. But it did for 1 month.

I have a case open with CRTC if that will end up doing anything or help future people.

Hello @J.Goosse
For security purposes, and due to the number of details to discuss, I would kindly invite you to address your request on Social Media (Facebook or Twitter), and we will assist you further there.

Hello @J.Goosse
For security purposes, and due to the number of details to discuss, I would kindly invite you to address your request on Social Media (Facebook or Twitter), and we will assist you further there.

I am not sure what you mean by this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I am not sure what you mean by this?

It means they are prepared to discuss your issue with you in private, not on a public forum.