Koodo Community
Question

Keeping Rate Plan when changin phone number from another province

• 20 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Can’t get a straight answer about this,

I currently have a Montreal number but now live in BC and want to get a local number. However, BC rate plans are more expensive since there is more competition that service the Montreal area. I don’t want to lose my Rate Plan when I change numbers. I have been with Koodo for 7 years. Would keeping an existing customer lead Koodo to letting me keep my rate plan?

Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you change your number, you'll need to change your plan. You might get around it by porting in a number, but not sure if that loophole is still around...

Userlevel 7

You may go through the following  ‘number change’ procedure

Changing your phone number

1. Log in to your Self Serve account.
  2. From the Self Serve drop-down menu, select Mobile services.
  3. Under “Manage your phone number,” select Manage.
  4. Select Find a new number.
  5. Choose the province and city for your new number. ...
  6. Choose a new area code and the first three digits from the drop-down list, and select Next.

You may abort the ‘number change’ procedure if you are being asked to change your plan at any point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to keep your QC plan, then keep your phone number as is. 

But, if change your number to BC number, then you have to switch your regional special plan to regular plan( what available to the province).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You may go through the following  ‘number change’ procedure

Changing your phone number

1. Log in to your Self Serve account.
  2. From the Self Serve drop-down menu, select Mobile services.
  3. Under “Manage your phone number,” select Manage.
  4. Select Find a new number.
  5. Choose the province and city for your new number. ...
  6. Choose a new area code and the first three digits from the drop-down list, and select Next.

You may abort the ‘number change’ procedure if you are being asked to change your plan at any point.

I believe this OP is asking how to keep his/her regional QC plan after s/he switched her number to BC number.  Not how to change his number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Get a BC number from a VoIP service and have those calls forwarded to your existing QC number. Old contacts and new ones are then dialing locally.

Your QC plan will probably hiccup once your current payment method (credit card) expires as the refresh procedure will catch that the address info no longer matches.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to change phone number to another province, you have to contact Koodo directly anyway. You cann’t do it within your selfserve.

BC recently has very competitive plans compared to QC and other provinces, due to the competition of Shaw/Freedom mobile. I would suggest you contact a rep, and ask for a similar plan in BC. They might be able to help you out. Facebook messaging is probably the best way https://www.facebook.com/Koodo

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Get a BC number from a VoIP service and have those calls forwarded to your existing QC number. Old contacts and new ones are then dialing locally.

Your QC plan will probably hiccup once your current payment method (credit card) expires as the refresh procedure will catch that the address info no longer matches.

At that point you can pay by online banking and will never need to update the card ;)

Userlevel 7

@Mayumi 

I did not suggest or tried to educate @Jordana on how to change her number.

I suggested a way of finding out how the koodo system responds to changing your number to another province’s number. I made it clear that this is just a fact finding method by stating “You may abort the ‘number change’ procedure if you are being asked to change your plan at any point.”

Sorry if my suggestion confused you.