Koodo Community

Community

keep the double minute double data plan permanently


Userlevel 6
Okay, we all know it, the plan has been with us for more than three months now. It has been revised a few times but I think we should just keep the plan. Does anyone agree? and maybe even add some tweaks like data only plans for tablets and such.

20 replies

These plans are ripoff, imagine if they don't keep the double data. lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I agree. Make it permanent already
Userlevel 2
Im with Erwin. They keep extending the plans every month anyways - they should just make them permenant. The minutes aren't really a huge selling point, its the data. People want EXCELLENT data plans.
Userlevel 6
... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... high prices 😞 Sadly, it's not about to change anytime soon. While not being "better", these plans are, at least, comparable to what's offered elsewhere (except for the AWS carriers). I used a different strategy to fight high data prices: I switched to Koodo prepaid and did away with data! Vote with your wallets people :oP Do not pay current data prices (on any carrier, that is).
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

I think instead of encouraging ROBELUS, we should encourage our local carriers such as Videotron/MTS/Sasktel/WIND/Mobilicity. Why is there some good (well not good, but better) deals for Quebec/Saskatchewan/Manitoba ? Because of the local carriers. Taking a plan, even the cheapest plan they offer, is still encouraging them in their ripoff. Just right now, I have unlimited north american calls + unlimited international texting + 6gb for 54.95$ (you still need 3 services with them to get the 6gb instead of 3gb, but still better than what you can get when you have 3 services with Bell for example) with Videotron and you can even get better deals with SaskTel/MTS and WIND/Mobilicity. When a local carrier offers a promo, the big three put a similar deal really fast as we can see with the 60$ unlimited Canada wide calling for Quebec + 3gb and the 5gb for Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

That time will come, where the smaller players will essentially band together to battle it out against the big three in the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum auction, January 14, 2014, they'll have to, otherwise they'll face the consequence of becoming insolvent. I've gone the same route as Topper, on one of two devices that I own. Fongo is amazing. Thank you for the tip.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

@SkAshe: You are absolutely right, and last April when Videotron came out of left field with their $55 plan, I went as far as getting the deal on a SIM-only plan (I had extra AWS-ready phones already). I did not port out my Koodo number because I wanted to try them first. It worked just fine in Sherbrooke, but the next weekend I went to visit family in Riviere-du-Loup/Trois-Pistoles/RImouski and by God it was horrible... Dead spots, long stretches of road without any signal, even on their partner network (Rogers). Basically, unuseable service once past LaPocatière on HWY20. Some spots were awesome with strong signal, but it'd be short lived. In Sherbrooke though, it was A-1. But as I travel to remote places all the time, I had to bring back the SIM and keep my Koodo service (which works 100% wherever I've been so far). @rikkster: Isn't prepaid great? lol! Seriously, I've slashed my bill in four. SMS and voice I used like normal people, I was a heavy data user though. I refused to keep paying the current going rate, so I had a choice: take it without lube OR do without. Needless to say, I'm now [i]data-less! It is surprisingly not as inconvenient as I thought. No more TuneIn Radio streaming for me, but my SGS4 has a nice SD slot to remedy that!
Userlevel 7
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

"... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... high prices :(" If you've paid attention over the years, data prices have been going down drastically and still are. So that really isn't true.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

@Ahmad: One of the neighbors on my street has been attempting to sell his house for most of the past year. Over this period, he shaved almost $80K off his home asking price. It's a beautiful home, with everything looking brand new. It is still up for sale though. The reason? It's too expensive. Although the price got lower (much like our data plans), it is still insanely expensive (much like our data plans - see a pattern here?). Also, it is Economics 101 that high demand leads to diminished (or unsustainable, depending on the product) offer, thus creating high price. I did not invent this. You said: "[i]data prices have been going down drastically" True. However, a lower price doesn't make it cheap and/or affordable. If Lamborghini lowered their prices tomorrow, I still would not be able to get one. You also said: "[i]and still are" I'd say false, but we'll know for sure this next August. If we see another round of 6GB plans, I'll eat my socks, get the plan and let everyone live an happy life. If we don't though, well, I'll have proven my point. I mean no offense at all Ahmad, in fact I think you always bring valid points and solid arguments. Your knowledge is also up there and I've seen you help people countless times. I wanted to clear that up because my points above are not a personal attack, I'm only defending them :oP
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

I was with Bell a few years ago, and was paying $57/month for nationwide 10 numbers and unlimited text and data. While that plan seems amazing, it wasn't. There was no caller ID nor voicemail. That brought the plan up to $69 before taxes. But my bill was always $100-120. Why? Long-distance charges. Calling anyone not on my list was insanely expensive, and I didn't call for idle chitchat. So, with a year left on my contract, I opened an account with Wind and got unlimited everything for $40 and was happy. I didn't cancel with Bell ($40/month for 2 lines), but instead went to an unadvertised $10/month emergency plan until the contract ran out. I was happy with Wind. My reception was fine everywhere except in large buildings at my university (but my Koodo signal disappears there as well). When Koodo offered the $56 unlimited/2GB plan, I switched to Koodo because I wanted internet radio on my frequent trips from London to Kitchener and Hamilton. But, this switch was only made possible by the fact that my wife doesn't care for data. She was on the $40 plan with Wind for the unlimited nationwide calling and text (all of our closest friends and family are out of town). Since she was able to get what she needs for $25, I was able to justify my $56 plan. Now we're paying $81/month. Our Wind bill always varied due to roaming, but was about $75-80, so no big difference. So yes, I think that the current promo should really be the standard price
Userlevel 4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

Ha! ...eat your socks... I'm commenting on this one so I can go back to it in a few months IF the 6gb plans do come back. TopperCNC, would they be clean or dirty socks? 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

Let's give the man a break. Freshly washed and dried, so they're still nice and warm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

@TopperCNC, I think you are explaining only half the picture. Your analysis of demand with your examples is good only if you assume supply is fixed, which is not. -Your house example to Ahmad also needs to factor in additional supply. Price also went down since there was also an abundant of supply -High demand leads to investments to increase/improve supply. With increased supply, you would want to increase your customer base with a lower yet still highly profitable margin. The supply is there. If they dont use it that month it is gone and they cant get it back so they might as well sell it at a lower cost to maximize profits. In this case More People using data at a lower cost has profit > less people using data at a higher cost -A Lamborghini is an example of a Luxury Good and does not follow the normal supply and demand curve of Normal Goods. A Lambo is purchased due to the fact it is expensive. Like expensive Champagne and Rolex watches. Rich people and rappers buy it because it is expensive to show off. Data is not a Luxury good in that respect.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

Yes, I'll eat my socks (don't really have a choice now, lol!), clean of course! @Dennis L.: You bring in some very good points. However, what I only intended to point out with examples is that data, although lower priced now than in the past, is still way way overpriced for what it is (in my opinion, since others may disagree). You are absolutely, 100% right when you say: "[i]If they dont use it that month it is gone and they cant get it back so they might as well sell it at a lower cost to maximize profits." That is EXACTLY what I'd been clamoring when I asked why Koodo (as well as other carriers) were so afraid of unlimited plans. They claim 99% of customers use less than 1GB each month to justify offering low data plans. I suggested to go ahead and offer large data plans since they were likely to go unused anyway, and would sell for a premium price (that's basically free money!). I was promptly shut down by community members. When I chose to go prepaid last month and forgo data completely, it wasn't because I could not afford it. It was because I did not feel like I was getting my money's worth. I felt like paying $60 a month ought to be enough to allow me to stream all the music/radio I want, but alas it was not. And I was not about to pay even more money for the privilege, so I simply did away with all of it (I'm an all or nothing kinda guy, I don't want to "settle" with 2-3GB of data). I can't be the only one who chose to so, so your example is the perfect representation of this. If data prices were lower, I'd get back onboard and use it. Many other customers would likely do the same, which would translate to more profits for Koodo, even if they sold their data for less per MBs. But since it's not happening and data prices remained high, I was not a buyer anymore, and that would translate to lower profits for Koodo. Anyway, all of this is my opinion only, and everyone's free to agree or not, and debating is good when it's constructive. You all brought in very valid points and it provides us with more food for thought. I'll just remain on prepaid while I wait for prices to come down to a level I feel is justified. And I don't feel bitter at all since I'm paying 4X less now every month on prepaid than I was before on my $60 monthly plan, hehe :oP
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

If TELUS come with a 6gb plan for 60$, then it will be a hard decision for me if I leave or stay with Videotron cause yea there are a lot of dead spot even if we can roam without additional fees on the ROGERS' network inside the Province of Quebec. Btw I get better reception almost everywhere in Quebec City with Videotron, even inside buildings.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

Well SkAshe, check out Videotron's website to see what they brought us today... Can't hide the fact that it's [i]very much tempting! But I go to rural areas all the time, so...
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

I have never wished to have to eat my socks as much as right now! Koodo, you need to match this plan by Videotron! Unlimited voice+SMS+6GB @ $60! Make me eat my socks Koodo!!!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

I already have this plan for 54.95$ (5$ rebate for 3 services). The 3gb is 25$ and 6gb is 30$ so they just subtract 25$ from the plan and add 30$. They just decided to officialese it.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

... and since data is in such a high demand, we all know what happens when demand > offer.... hig...

They may play with details any way they see fit as long as it brings unlm+6GB for $60! hehe
You do all realize if it did stay and was true to their word then this as the normal quantities would then have to double again to be "double rates." Either way, I prefer same rates across canada!

Reply