Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is MMS actually included as unlimited for plans or does it use your monthly data to transfer pictures instead?

I understand that you have to have data turned on to receive picture/video messaging. Is there a distinction between the two when it comes to data usage? The monthly plan is supposed to include unlimited picture/video messaging, but is the data that it uses coming off my monthly data allowance that I pay for in my plan?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Data is required for sending and receiving MMS, but it does not count toward your monthly allowance.
Ivan wrote:

Data is required for sending and receiving MMS, but it does not count toward your monthly allowance.

Thank you! 🙂
Ivan wrote:

Personal experience has shown me (and others) that it does use your data. I had charges for data for receiving MMS on my old phone - that I never used data, so I didn't have a data plan. Now I don't care as the data use is minimal and I have a plan with data included, but it was pretty frustrating before. But maybe you're right and it doesn't count towards my monthly total now that I have data included in my plan.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

Hi there, MMS don't use data at all! However, since data must be enabled in order to send/receive MMS, apps in the phone could use some (notifications, sync...) and this is why you've seen some data deducted. To avoid that, the best is to disable notifications & auto-sync for apps. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Ivan wrote:

As I mentioned, I had NO apps. Never accessed an app store (it didn't even have an Android OS) and never used the phone to go online. No weather app, no email, nothing. It was a very very very basic phone - was really just a plain cell phone with a touch screen and camera! I only EVER received data charges when I received MMS, and like I mentioned, I could look online (on my computer, of course!) and the exact time I received the message was the exact time the data charge would be for. I was lucky and every charge was reversed. But people shouldn't have to contact Koodo to have erroneous charges reversed.
Ivan wrote:

All smartphones have apps, ones that you cannot uninstall that require a data connection. Even something as simple as syncing your gmail will use data. Just because you believe that your phone didn't use data, it did(just not for MMS).