Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is a credit check with credit card needed if a bring my iphone to Koodo?

Your site mentions that a credit check using a valid credit card is required. Is the credit check with a valid credit card still required if I bring my unlocked iphone 5 to Koodo and want to put it on a monthly plan such as the promotional $30 plan? Or is the credit check that requires a credit card needed only if one is also getting phone with the plan?

13 replies

Userlevel 6
I believe yes regardless as long as you want to get a monthly plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't necessarily need a credit card but you would need at least your driver's license and sin number for koodo to run a credit check, which is indeed required for all postpaid plans, whether you buy a phone from koodo or not.
Sin #/card is best for this issue... Even if you don't have great credit, you may be put on the Spending Limit Program, and even so, your still in the clear. Just 10$ for the Sim card..
What if you don't got a driver's license but just your SIN card and an ID? Not everyone drives.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Has to be a government issued photo id. At some locations I believe they can accept a passport but not everywhere. In Ontario, at least, you can get a photo id identical to a driver's license, with the exception that it doesn't allow you to drive. They're available through the driver licensing office.
That is what I got is a government issued photo ID.
Userlevel 5
Shellina Holloway wrote:

That is what I got is a government issued photo ID.

Yes a SIN card and an ID card is fine. You only need 2 pieces of government issued photo ID.
I'm having he problem where I do not have a drivers license they are ok with passport but my SIN number which by law is optional is the only thing thy say they will accept for a credit check, this isn't fair, because I don't drive I'm forced to disclose my SIN, illegal , but I tired it and now my SIN FOR some reason is blacklisted for signing up with any cellphone number because someone is using my SIN number, I have perfect credit but because of this I am in a very bad situation stuck in a contract with a different company and have no way of switching to a new cell phone company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Coniters Brown wrote:

I'm having he problem where I do not have a drivers license they are ok with passport but my SIN ...

A credit check will disclose your SIN whether you provide it or not.
Userlevel 2
Coniters Brown wrote:

I'm having he problem where I do not have a drivers license they are ok with passport but my SIN ...

Hey Coniters, could you be a bit more specific with regards to your situation? I'm not sure I'm understanding how it applies to Koodo 🙂.
Userlevel 7
Coniters Brown wrote:

Same, Myke. It's not Koodo who is forcing her to provide her SIN, she just doesn't have the other required. You shouldn't be throwing words like "illegal" around like that. Koodo has done absolutely nothing wrong. TWO pieces of ID are required, not 1. And they have to be proper ID.
Many thanks to those who replied to my original query a few weeks ago; I went ahead with the credit check and got the Dec 2012 promo plan at 30.00 a month. Thanks Koodo for the great plan. On the issue of ID it seems that all providers need at least 2 items. The only time a SIN number comes into play is if you give the SIN for any credit check. If you do it will be stored by the credit bureaus as it is the best way to sort out who is who when names are similar. Giving out one's SIN number used to be a big concern, but we now share so much other info that the SIN is only one of many privacy factors. The better approach is to annually retrieve the free credit report that the law allows each year from Equifax and Transunion as that report will tell you of any errors in your credit file way beyond SIN issues and ensures you know of any frauds using your credit profile. If someone says your SIN has been used by others these credit reports are the first things to get from the credit bureaus. You get one free per year but must fill in the free PDF forms on the bureau sites and mail in 2 pieces I'd ID as copies.
Userlevel 7
Hey, Keith! Thanks for coming back to the Community and posting an update on how it all went. I hope you're enjoying your Koodo service and hope you're here to stay a while ;P