Koodo Community

Community

Solved

iphone 6 on lightweight plans?

Can someone tell me why Koodo has suddenly made all of their plans so expensive?! I bought my iphone 6 about 6 months ago. Paid $375 outright and got a tab medium. My plan is $40 + $5. Unlimited evenings/weekends, texting etc. 300 minutes and 300 data. More than enough for my needs. My mom's contract just ended and she wanted to do exactly what i did. I went online come to find out the phone (which is now 8 months old vs 2 months when i bought it) is now $360 and you can only get a heavyweight plan AND THERE IS A $21!!!! tab plus charge. Whatttt the heck?! Can you not even get an iphone 6 on a tab medium anymore? Koodo always had such competitive pricing compared to Rogers and Telus. Now there's no competition at all? Really dissappointed!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Shannon,

You are able to get an iPhone using the regular tab, however you will have to pay a lot more upfront. Doing so will allow you to use any of the other less-expensive plans offered by Koodo. 

Tab+ plans will allow you to put up to 500$ on the tab, whereas the regular tab allows you to put up to 360$ on the tab. 

For the iPhone 6 (16gb), using the regular tab you will need to pay 504$ upfront and then pay an additional 15$ per month on top of your regular plan until the tab is paid off. 

Koodo is all about choices and doing what makes you happy, make the best choice that fits your needs!
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

You are able to get an iPhone using the regular tab, however you will have to pay a ...

But why has not only the cost of the iPhone itself, but also the tab charges gone up significantly? My tab is for $300 of the phone price. I pay an extra $5 per month. Now it's $15? That seems like a pretty insane increase...considering I just got my phone 6 months ago.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

You are able to get an iPhone using the regular tab, however you will have to pay a ...

What happened is that Koodo recently redesigned the tab and plan system. Before, all the plans were all 10% more expensive (which was almost the amount that Koodo contributed to the tab for you). Now, the plans are less expensive as Koodo no longer contributes to the tab for you and it's up to you to pay off the tab. The cost in the end is about the same as before, it's just shown a little differently than when you signed up. If you don't want to use the tab, you don't have to. You can buy the phone outright as well.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

Why is Koodo always changing their system? Since I came to Koodo around 2 years ago the tab and plan system has changed 3 or 4 times. It's incredibly inconsistent and is very annoying when I tell my friend about my great deal that I got and then he or she can't go and get the same thing as me. Suddenly I'm the bad guy lol. But moreover, i changed my plan one time because I thought it would be better. It wasn't, and when I went to change it back I couldn't because it was no longer offered. I feel like there is a lack of consistency.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

Hi Bikesniffer, If you have been around for 2 years this would be the first time the tabs change on you. Historically, Koodo only changed the tab system twice since they were created. These changes are necessary in an ever-changing field such as technology. If the tabs never changed, then you would still have a maximum tab of 150$ and nothing more. As for plans, those also need to change to remain competitive with the other providers in your local area. When you sign up for a promo plan, you get a better deal, and it is a limited time offer as stated on the website. When you change to a new plan, you got a notification telling you that if the plan is no longer offered, you will not be able to return to it, very clearly. In terms of a old plan vs a new one, you should definitely look into what each plan offers before you change and have a good idea of what you are loosing or gaining. None of this is Koodo's fault. Koodo has remained extremely competitive throughout the years and keeps getting better and better, now even offering some of the lowest plans I've seen in a while.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the reply. That makes a bit of sense, although looks like it still turns out slightly more expensive. Does anyone know why the iPhone 6 was $375 with a tab medium in the fall of last year when it was brand new, and now it's over $500 even though it's a 9 month old month? Wouldnt the price decrease not increase?
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Shannon,

Apple recently modified the prices of all their devices in Canada because of a "weak Canadian dollar" so all of their products are a little more expensive now.
Thanks for the reply! In my past experience, the tab went from the original, what is now called tab small with something like 10% of the monthly rate going towards the tab to pay the phone off. As you know, this worked out to be around $6 for every $60 bill you received. Then there was a shift towards these three different tabs, which by the way I would like to say is a great transition over all, because you were now able to put less money down and now it was 15% contribution of your overall bill going towards the tab, and if you had the two larger tier tabs there was an additional $5 or $10 dollars respectively going towards the tab. What you are discussing in this thread, to me sounds like another new change. I want to say that I don't dislike the new tab systems and the rate plans are still just as good, albeit slightly different from the old ones, but as a customer, to me it feels inconsistent and random. It would be nice if there were commercials informing us of these great deals (like the limited time offer monthly rates, which was one that I had and it gave me unlimited everything and 2 GBs of data, which was to my understanding, an additional GB compared with the regular plan of the same price). I am only posting this here because the rep at the store said it was a great place to swap ideas and sort of have a voice which koodo staff can pick up on and possibly improve upon, not to "internet troll" or malign koodo the company in any way.